Community Based Daycare vs Commercial Centres

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
billiemama

Community Based Daycare vs Commercial Centres

Post by billiemama » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:44 pm

Really need your help on this one!
After some opinions on the quality of care offered at both types of centres and points of difference between the two.
My lil bub (9months old) has recently started daycare 1 day a week, after Easter he will be doing 3days! However we are not 100% sure if we are happy with the daycare we put him in. Reasoning is He has been twice now for about 6 hours a day, on both times he has been there they told me he wouldn't eat the lunch its like his not chewing on it Um well his only 8.5months i and i told them if he doesnt eat it offer him chunky puree!
Well they just ignored that the other day because i asked them they said oh no we didnt! And i feel like they dont do much with lil babies, maybe i’m wrong im not sure. Please tell me do daycare centre do much activities with the babies or just let them play and sleep?

Back to the subject. We now are in the process of trying to decide if we should look at other centres. But we are stuck between a community based daycare centre and a standard commercial one.
I came across a study which surveyed childcare workers across all centres, and rated community based centres the best across a wide range of criteria including ratios, quality of care, time available with each child, quality and quantity of food etc etc.

SO, is it true? Does anyone have experience of both types of centres either from the point of view of a parent or as a childcare worker? Any thoughts on the differences and benefits of either?Also how important is the NQS in centres are these all true and should we take note of it?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Lorina

Re: Community Based Daycare vs Commercial Centres

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:20 pm

If you feel that the centre isn't meeting the needs of your child then you should trust your gut instinct and move on... Sometimes your child and the centre doesn't "connect" so to speak and you have to find another centre that may suit your child and your needs better. This has nothing to do with the educators or if they are doing anything wrong it's just the overall environment, the feeling your child may have etc. You mentioned that your child had not eaten the lunch and after you instructed the educators to make chunky puree they didn't. First of all they shouldn't let a baby (under one) go hungry and do everything in their will to get the child to eat, they should also inform you of this so you and the educators can figure out ways to get your child to eat (such as you bringing an alternative from home if your bub doesn't eat the centre food). Also, you had given them an alternative and they still didn't meet your request... So, already they haven't met you or your child's needs with food...

In regards to your bub's day in care, there should be a program of activities for the babies to be involved in, your child should be observed, educators should be teaching and extending or developing in skills such as encouraging to walk, learning simple songs and words, developing gross motor skills, lots of manipulation play etc. to develop and strengthening their muscles babies need to walk and move basically. So, it the activities should be planned and organised and changed weekly.

You could ask if you could see the weekly program or even observation taken of your child just so you can get an idea if they are actually doing it!

With community and commercial based it's hard to say. Some commercial centres are excellent and go above and beyond for the children and families. I think you will need to visit centres within your area and compare them to see which ones you feel will meet your needs.

You can ask about ratios in the babies room, programming, observations, whether they have been assessed etc. menu's etc.

You should be able to tell if the centre is "good" just by the environment itself and walking through how the educators interact with the children etc.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:25 pm

If you go to the MyChild website, you could search the child care centres and this will give you an overview of the centre as well as the "Quality" which is how they are meeting the NQS. This will give you an overall idea of the centre:

Find Services

You could also do a quick Google search on the centre to see if the have any social media you could glance at etc. This way you could see what the centre gets up to through out the year. The most important thing is to trust your gut instinct...

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Oh I also found this in my resources which will help:

Child Care Centre Checklist

Lorina

billiemama

Post by billiemama » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:49 pm

Thank you so much for your reply, when i did the walk through it seemed all well and good and the girls seem all nice. Its as soon as he started seemed odd, and they dont tell me things unless i ask! He sleeps well there and he seena fine he never really crys. And the baby room is full, but what i dind strange there is only 2 educators in the room everytime ive gone.
Ive checked the ratings and they are all
Working towards National Quality Standard for the centre he goes to. Is this something i should stay clear from?
I think they are good and then ill think different i get moxed feelings about it!

billiemama

Post by billiemama » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Btw they have facebook business page bit has not been updated for a few years! For the centre he goes to.
Its a larger company but not much in on our one.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:56 pm

Yeah, well you shouldn't have to ask to be told things! Educators should give you an overall account of your child's day and let you know how your bub went, activities he enjoyed etc. In regards to ratio, in the baby room, it is 1:4. So this means one educator for every 4 babies.

In regards to the ratings Working Towards NQS is given to services that are providing a safe education and care program but have one or more areas identified for improvement. So, they are below par in regards to meeting NQS requirements. From what you have told me so far, I think you should find another centre!

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:57 pm

billiemama wrote:Btw they have facebook business page bit has not been updated for a few years! For the centre he goes to.
Its a larger company but not much in on our one.
Doesn't look too good...Not surprised this centre has a low NQS rating...

Lorina

billiemama

Post by billiemama » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:46 pm

yeh ill check the other ones out next week, and most of them in my area they all have low NQS besides the community one!
Its really driving me crazy, ive tried to reasearch so much on all the centres and they dont have any social media account nor website, besides 1.

Didnt think it would be this difficult. I will also be speaking to the Manager about his care next week

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:43 pm

If the community one seems to be the best then maybe you should consider moving your bub to that centre... Although there may be a waiting list if that is the best centre in your area.

Yes, speak to the manager about your concerns and see what they say... It could be a turning point and the educators may give the best possible care to your child (even though they should be doing that already)!

Hope all goes well!

Lorina

billiemama

Post by billiemama » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:27 am

Hi Lorina,

Thankyou so much for your help!

I went to have a look at the community centre one! its NQS is exceeding however i just felt it wasnt right!

From the moment i walked in it did not feel clean, the lady that showed me around was wonderful! The toys outside had been disgusting, and in the babies room they are all 15-18 months old no one younger.
The rooms had been so hot inside, not sure if they had aircon or not!
Honeslt dont understand why these centres are getting rated so high, nor do i understand why we dont have much of a option. My next option is to travel 20mins away. However i did see a sign about a new centre opening close by soon so hopefully that might be good. Ill have to contct the to get more info.

Thank you

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:50 am

It doesn't matter where you go there is good and bad everywhere. Have you thought about Family Day Care? there is never anymore than 4 little ones in the group .
I would suggest if you change to go for at least two play long visits, stay there and watch what goes on, if the centre or family day care don't allow it don't go there.
They should absolutely have something suitable for your child to eat, thats crazy.
In saying all that I find that a little one coming for one day a week find it harder to adjust as it is a big gap in between day care days for such a little one. So after easter that will change for you, spend this time to find somewhere where you and your precious baby will be happy.
You shouldn't have to ask what is done, it should be visible and they should show you when you go for an interview and if you go for enough play visits you will be able to see for yourself.

Linsaa fdc :wave: