CHCIC512A - RS005 - Investigating disabilities

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
sherry.mcc
Helper
Helper

CHCIC512A - RS005 - Investigating disabilities

Post by sherry.mcc » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Hello, I need a bit of help with this question. Maybe I am a bit tired but I just do not seem to understand question d and don't think my answer is right.

The assignment is RS005 Investigating disabilities

a. description of disability
answer-Celiac and multiple food allergies

b.Casual or influencing factors
answer-Genetic/environment

c.Spedific developmental/behavoural issues that are typical of this diasability
answer-Behavoural, growth and developmental, learning problems, health problems

d. Implications for inclusion in an early childhood setting
answer-Being aware of the child's allergies in crafts e.g. use bought play dough instead of making it from wheat
Work in partnership with families, following the recommendation of medical professionals

e. Resources/support that would be necessary to support the delivery of a program for a child with this disability
answer-allergy register list to be displayed int the food preparation area
maybe parent providing food for their child
supplies of child's medicine as in a child with asthma and a child with anaphylaxis
Your help would be much appreciated

Lorina

Re: CHCIC512A - RS005 - Investigating disabilities

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:50 am

Hi Tinkerbell,

From what you have answered in each of the points it shows that you have understood the question.
However I did find some more info that you can add to help support your answers. I know it can be tiring trying to complete assignments especially if you just want to get it over and done with!

a. description of disability

You can also add - Celiac disease also known as gluten intolerance and a generic disorder. Those affected suffer damage in their intestines when they eat specific food grain antigens that are found in wheat, rye and barley.

c. Specific developmental/behavioral issues that are typical of this disability

You can also add - A child may unable to concentrate, be irritable, cranky, and have difficulties with mental alertness and memory function. A child who suffers from celiac may also have selected neuro-psychiatric symptoms including mood changes, irritability, and depression.

d. Implications for inclusion in an early childhood setting

You can also add - Implementing a strict gluten free diet for the child. Avoid foods containing wheat, rye and barley. Note - the point you made about the play dough I don't think it should be an issue unless the child eats the play dough itself - maybe substituting the wheat flour for plain flour.

e. Resources/support that would be necessary to support the delivery of a program for a child with this disability

You can also add - Talking to a nutritionist/dietician about what foods to include in the child's gluten free diet during meal times at the centre.

I didn't mention additional information for all your points just a few of them. Make sure that you add the points you mentioned as well because they are valid... I just added a little more detail to the info you already provided. Also "Thank you" for providing your answers it was easier for me to see what you understood from the question!

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
L.A

sherry.mcc
Helper
Helper

Re: CHCIC512A - RS005 - Investigating disabilities

Post by sherry.mcc » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:52 am

Hello L.A,
Thank you so much for your help.
I find sometimes when I read these questions my mind just seems to go fuzzy as I have all these allergies and chemicals allergies as well. Runs in the family.
In regard to the wheat in play dough for some celiac people they cannot even get it on there skin.
Two friends of mine cannot go to restaurants any more as even if they wipe the area that has had wheat on it and prepare other food on the same surface they end up in hospital and it takes them about 2 months to eventually get over it.
Once again thank you
Cheers
Sherry