being a parent and a staff

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ilpha

being a parent and a staff

Post by ilpha » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:14 am

Hi, I'm a single mum of 7 months old baby studying childcare certificate lll.
I'm thinking to go back to work in 3,4 months time.
i've never worked in childcare but I want to look for a job in childcare now.

I haven't started my work experiment yet, however, I would like to get a job as I can't afford to do work experience without pay since
I am living on benefit now.
I am wondering there are some possibilities to get a job as an assistant or any job at a childcare centre where I can send my baby, too.
Or they usually don't take their employee's children?

Thank you!

Lorina

Re: being a parent and a staff

Post by Lorina » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi!

In regards to completing your work experience while you're working well, it really comes down to the centre. Some centres are fine with you completing your work placement while working while others you will need to complete it in your own time (this is mainly for the tasks and assignments part). So, basically, you may be able to get signed off on your work placement tasks by a mentor at the centre you will be working, however, if you need to complete a specific task such as a "setup" or "plan an activity", you may need to do this outside your work hours. As I mentioned, it's up to the discretion of the centre director so when you go for an interview you could ask them...

Since you are currently enrolled in a cert 3 qualification course you are considered "actively working towards" your qualification so you can currently be employed as a cert 3 assistant educator. Here is some more information about this:

Actively Working Towards A Qualification

In regards to working and having your baby at the same centre yes it is possible! A lot depends on if the centre where you are applying has spots available in the babies room etc. If the centre does have vacancies then usually you will find that it'a not a problem. So, you don't have to worry too much about it as long as you find a centre with vacancies.

I would probably recommend you start looking itself now, dropping your resume at centres around your area or where you wish to travel to as well as putting your baby on the waiting list as you don't to have to do this all at the last minute. You should ring around centres you may be interested in and just have a chat with the director...

Let me know if you have any further questions!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Oh almost forgot... Happy New Year! :party:

Lorina

ilpha

Post by ilpha » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks, Lorina!
It helped me a lot to move on.
I'll get my CV ready and drop them off!

And happy new year!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:33 am

You're most welcome! Hope you find a centre for you and your little one! :thumbup:

I'm always here if you need anything!

Lorina

PeppermintPolkadot

Post by PeppermintPolkadot » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:46 pm

I am also a single mother, working in the industry. My daughter was much older than yours when I took on a position in a centre where she also attended. She was already 2. There are definite positives and negatives, and issues can arise.

Many centres that allow staff children to be enrolled, prefer that the child is in a separate room from the mother. I have seen children within the same room as their mother, and of course depending on the child, the mother and the dynamics, different situations can arise. I have seen it work fairly well, and I have seen it not work in the best interests for the child, mother and co-educators at all. Some children struggle to 'share' their mother with the other children in the room, the worst case of this I observed was when a kindergarten teacher had her son in the same room as her, and he wouldn't even let her run a group time without clinging to her and screaming.

In another nursery room I worked in, a co-educators baby was in the room. This had worked fairly well until the child became about 15 months old. Behavioural issues began to arise, the mother was reluctant to do a great deal of redirection / behaviour guidance as she felt we needed to do it rather than her to a certain degree. It became awkward for us as co-educators to step in and do this in her mother's presence. There also became issues with one co-educator in particular showing extreme favouritism towards this particular child, which further fueled behavioural issues and caused conflicts of ideas between co-workers as to how we were to guide her behaviour appropriately. In that room, we also had a mother return to work after maternity leave with her young baby. This educator struggled to adequately work with the other children in the room as her attention was absorbed in her own. At times she would prefer to delegate the needs of her baby to co-workers, which at times seemed to be expected to be catered to above and before the needs of the other children in the room.

My daughter settled in to her first child care setting remarkably well, and after a few rough weeks of orientation, absolutely LOVED coming and actually coped better with seeing me coming and going around the centre, without becoming distressed (usually) better than some of the other staff children around her age that had been attending since 6 weeks of age. Issues began to arise for my daughter and I when I became unhappy with how the service was being run (very illegally and horrible practices). Issues with one educator in her room in particular were a major reason that I had to leave that position as I was very upset by how it was handled and how horribly the service was being run in general.

It can also be a fantastic and positive experience to know your child is in the building close by. If you are in a great setting, there are so many benefits for you both, and some services offer staff discounts for their own children. I would just choose very carefully and ensure it's a high quality service, and be prepared that issues may arise.

ilpha

Post by ilpha » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks for the message,!
It really helped me how I can approach in so many different aspects.
I have never worked in this industry yet and my daughter hasn't attended any child care yet, so it might be a bit difficult for us,
but hopefully I can find a good cerntre and get a job.

Thank you!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:36 am

[ref]PeppermintPolkadot[/ref],

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

It really has helped to provide an insight into how an educator can work with their child at the same centre.

Lorina