Workplacement troubles

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Workplacement troubles

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi, Just a thought as I don't know but would they accept you doing your workplacement hours in Family Day Care or does it have to be in a centre?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:15 am

I think it will be a good experience for students to do "work placement" in an FDC and an OOSH centre as well just so they can experience different types of settings. It also gives students a taste of what it's like between the different settings and give them an idea of which direction they want to go in once they finish their qualification...

:geek:,
Lorina

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:00 am

I am an ex Director of a Goodstart Centre and I know they are usually very accomodating of students .... Again depends on the director but I was always happy to have students and often had 2-3 students in each day!!!
Worth a try ...so find a Goodstart and go in in person, it makes a HUGE difference if you speak to whoever is in charge face to face.

Elianaa
Participator
Participator

Post by Elianaa » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:06 pm

Hey,
I live in Shepparton which is 2 hours from Melbourne, it might be worth calling the centres here. I personally work for a council run centre and they are very accomodating to students, it might be worth a try if you're desperate.

ilanafritz
Participator
Participator

Post by ilanafritz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:36 am

fchaudari76 wrote:I am an ex Director of a Goodstart Centre and I know they are usually very accomodating of students .... Again depends on the director but I was always happy to have students and often had 2-3 students in each day!!!
Worth a try ...so find a Goodstart and go in in person, it makes a HUGE difference if you speak to whoever is in charge face to face.
Would you be so kind to let me know, please I work on casual basis with Goodstart. I had an issue about a worker who took my work, because she transferred herself from full time to casual and she didn't get enough work being on casual basis. I had a phone call from one of the centres to go to work on a Thursday and instead they called the other girl to go and work on Thursday, so I don't want to go to that centre to do my workplacement, because of these issue, but TAFE insists me at going to that centre to do the workplacement. I'll be doing only one day workplacement, because I find difficulties at written work. I am doing the certificate III course.
Would you be so kind to advise me what to do about the workplacement issue.
Thank you.
Regards
Anne

ilanafritz
Participator
Participator

Post by ilanafritz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:46 pm

Can anyone suggest, I am doing the Certificate III and the TAFE I go to they only put me down for one day to do workplacement, but not all the subjects, because I have written difficulties. What is the quickest way at doing the workplacement?
Thank you
Regards
Anne

strawberryapples

Post by strawberryapples » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi everyone,
I know I started this post 3 years now but I would like to give everyone an update! I never completed my certificate I did however finish all the written components of the course but due to the lack of work placement I unfortunately gave up and not having the support of my institute with helping me find any sort of placement made me not want to complete the certificate. I fortunately went on to complete a bachelor degree instead.

I suggest to anyone that is having troubles in gaining any placement for your certificate contact your trainer and get them to help also if you have peers in your class that you can talk to and if they have got placement ask them where and contact the same centre as some centres will be happy to take you on if you have other peers in the same centre!

Good luck everyone and I wish you all the best in gaining work placement :D

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:55 pm

Thanks for the update strawberry apples!

It's unfortunate you had to leave your cert 3 because of the lack of work placement but it sounds like it worked out for the better instead! You went from doing your cert 3 to completing a degree a big leap and it seems to have paid off... Good on you!

It's hard to believe that students are finding it so difficult to get work placement these days...Are there that many students completing a qualification that centres are overloaded with students or are centres not willing to take students for placement...

Its a hard situation to be in as you can't complete your qualification without doing placement and if you can't find anything what do you do? Students, don't give up keep trying! Go and find centres outside your area even if it's an hour away...

That's all I can do really keep encouraging!

:geek:,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:59 pm

Hi Strawberryapples,

I believe everything happens for a reason and finishing your Bachelor Degree is fantastic you should be proud of yourself.
There will be many more doors open for you now.

linsaa fdc :thumbup: