Workplacement troubles

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
strawberryapples

Workplacement troubles

Post by strawberryapples » Tue May 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi everyone I'm having trouble getting workplacement both my trainer have contacted over 79 child care centres ad every single one has said either they are full until December or that parents don't like students so they don't take them. I have
Even tried centres 2 hours away with the same response I'm needing this cert completed by September as I will be moving interstate can anyone give me. Some advise on what to do thanks

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Workplacement troubles

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:03 pm

surely your trainer have placed students before !!! find this very weird, never have heard of this issue before
maybe go into centres in person and speak to them

strawberryapples

Post by strawberryapples » Tue May 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Yes I too find it strange but my trainer seems to think because I started in late feb that it could have something to do with it. I live in Melbourne if that maks a difference. She has placed people before but the centres they use is full with their other students I'm doing my course on line and self paced she also seems to think because I am too advance in my studies could be another factor but don't see how. I have also been told by other centres that they only take students who are studying with vic uni. I'm going to email some others tonight an will call some tomorrow. They did arrange a placement for me I was meant to start next week but I only found out last night they gave my place to someone else who is studying with another tafe who the centre is connected with.

It's a damn pain! It seems as tho this isn't working out for me and may need to look at a new career;(

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:04 pm

Dont give up, I am sure you will get somewhere who will take you soon. If you are doing it online etc I am sure you can do your prac even after you move... as long as you meet your prac requirements it should not make a difference where you do your prac

strawberryapples

Post by strawberryapples » Wed May 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi thanks for the reply. I contacted one centre who has been looking for a trainee for the last few weeks which they asked me if i would like to go to a interview with them. I am 7 units through my 16 so i have 9 left. Im not sure what to expect at this interview. I explained to them that i had my own children before they asked for my resume etc which they told me they were very interested in me.
If i get accepted for this position will i remain at where i am currently studying or will they ask me to transfer?
Also what should i expect at the interview? will have i have to answer any questions about the last 7 units i have completed?
What paper work should i take with me?
If i did get accepted i would be changing about moving interstate until next year i have read that they will most likely require me to stay for 12 months but that us only if i havent started any sort of study. How long should i expect if im more less half way through?

Sorry for all the questions.

I feel a little bit of hope :)

Fatemah Kiwi

Post by Fatemah Kiwi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:53 am

Hi there, I live in Spotswood (Western Suburb of Melbourne - around Williamstown). I started my child Care Cert 3 course in September of this year, I study one day a week and that's on Friday. I have the same problem about trying to find a work placement. Been to quite a fair lot of places around my area and the same reply as that they have bulk booked their placements to Vic Uni since the beginning of this year. I am supposed to start in Mid November my work placement. I finish my course in 26 April 2013. Needing to do 120 hours of placement time. I find it frustrating. It has to be in a FULL DAY CARE CENTRE - NOT OCCASSIONAL OR SESSIONAL DAY CARE. And we, the students of my course are the ones who have to look for our placement - not my tutor or the institute. I am honest, reliable and eager to learn. I am A New Zealander and I am nearing 40 years of age very soon.

If anyone can help me with some good suggestions or if they know of any centre desperately looking for students to work in
please reply in this forum to me your answers. Thank you :D :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi Fatemah,

Sorry to hear about your situation... It's hard at times to get into work placement especially if you want something closer to home...It's even worse when the uni decides to book out most of the childcare centres in the area... Have you tried looking outside your area? I mean you may have to travel a little further to get a centre where you will be able to do your work placement. Depending on the centre 120 hrs is only 3 weeks if you are working a full 10 hour shift, 4 days per week, so you may be able to find something. If not, you may have to put your name down for next year... your course finishes in April so even if you start work placement in January then it should be ok...

I know it's frustrating but keep trying, something will eventually show up...

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

syakira
Helper
Helper

Post by syakira » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:28 am

Hi,

I'm a vic uni student and I was required to find my own placement. It's best to call centres in the beginning of the year for placements. I hope you find a centre in your area.

sykira

Dhiraj Goel

Post by Dhiraj Goel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Hai,
im a student presently doing my Certificate 3 in child care services. I'm having trouble getting workplacement ..I Have contacted so many childcare centres and every single one has said they have booked for the full year :sweating: .. ima about to finsih my course at the end of april ...can anyone suggest me if they knw any centres who would provide me placements anywhere in western or norther suburds of melbourne :cry: please
thanks in advance :inlove:

Radha Rani

Post by Radha Rani » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Hai ..
I'm a cet 3 student present looking for work placement ,having lot of trouble in finding on my own :( I have contacted around 25 childcare centres but everyone's answer was its all booked out for this year ..can anyone help me find work placement ..I'm in melbourne I can travel anywhere to complete my 120 hrs of placement
Thanks a lot :angel:

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi, Just a thought as I don't know but would they accept you doing your workplacement hours in Family Day Care or does it have to be in a centre?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:15 am

I think it will be a good experience for students to do "work placement" in an FDC and an OOSH centre as well just so they can experience different types of settings. It also gives students a taste of what it's like between the different settings and give them an idea of which direction they want to go in once they finish their qualification...

:geek:,
Lorina

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:00 am

I am an ex Director of a Goodstart Centre and I know they are usually very accomodating of students .... Again depends on the director but I was always happy to have students and often had 2-3 students in each day!!!
Worth a try ...so find a Goodstart and go in in person, it makes a HUGE difference if you speak to whoever is in charge face to face.

Elianaa
Participator
Participator

Post by Elianaa » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:06 pm

Hey,
I live in Shepparton which is 2 hours from Melbourne, it might be worth calling the centres here. I personally work for a council run centre and they are very accomodating to students, it might be worth a try if you're desperate.

ilanafritz
Participator
Participator

Post by ilanafritz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:36 am

fchaudari76 wrote:I am an ex Director of a Goodstart Centre and I know they are usually very accomodating of students .... Again depends on the director but I was always happy to have students and often had 2-3 students in each day!!!
Worth a try ...so find a Goodstart and go in in person, it makes a HUGE difference if you speak to whoever is in charge face to face.
Would you be so kind to let me know, please I work on casual basis with Goodstart. I had an issue about a worker who took my work, because she transferred herself from full time to casual and she didn't get enough work being on casual basis. I had a phone call from one of the centres to go to work on a Thursday and instead they called the other girl to go and work on Thursday, so I don't want to go to that centre to do my workplacement, because of these issue, but TAFE insists me at going to that centre to do the workplacement. I'll be doing only one day workplacement, because I find difficulties at written work. I am doing the certificate III course.
Would you be so kind to advise me what to do about the workplacement issue.
Thank you.
Regards
Anne

ilanafritz
Participator
Participator

Post by ilanafritz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:46 pm

Can anyone suggest, I am doing the Certificate III and the TAFE I go to they only put me down for one day to do workplacement, but not all the subjects, because I have written difficulties. What is the quickest way at doing the workplacement?
Thank you
Regards
Anne

strawberryapples

Post by strawberryapples » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi everyone,
I know I started this post 3 years now but I would like to give everyone an update! I never completed my certificate I did however finish all the written components of the course but due to the lack of work placement I unfortunately gave up and not having the support of my institute with helping me find any sort of placement made me not want to complete the certificate. I fortunately went on to complete a bachelor degree instead.

I suggest to anyone that is having troubles in gaining any placement for your certificate contact your trainer and get them to help also if you have peers in your class that you can talk to and if they have got placement ask them where and contact the same centre as some centres will be happy to take you on if you have other peers in the same centre!

Good luck everyone and I wish you all the best in gaining work placement :D

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:55 pm

Thanks for the update strawberry apples!

It's unfortunate you had to leave your cert 3 because of the lack of work placement but it sounds like it worked out for the better instead! You went from doing your cert 3 to completing a degree a big leap and it seems to have paid off... Good on you!

It's hard to believe that students are finding it so difficult to get work placement these days...Are there that many students completing a qualification that centres are overloaded with students or are centres not willing to take students for placement...

Its a hard situation to be in as you can't complete your qualification without doing placement and if you can't find anything what do you do? Students, don't give up keep trying! Go and find centres outside your area even if it's an hour away...

That's all I can do really keep encouraging!

:geek:,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:59 pm

Hi Strawberryapples,

I believe everything happens for a reason and finishing your Bachelor Degree is fantastic you should be proud of yourself.
There will be many more doors open for you now.

linsaa fdc :thumbup: