What To Expect During A Phone Interview

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Rachana

What To Expect During A Phone Interview

Post by Rachana » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum.i need help with the good start phone interview.i have an appointment for the phone interview coming Monday. can anyone know what they are going to ask. i am so nervous.can anybody help me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: What To Expect During A Phone Interview

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:49 am

Hi Rachana,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

It's completely normal to feel nervous about the interview. It's going to be OK, I can assure you. Regarding what they are asking it really depends on the person doing the interview and of course the position you're applying for. To start off with, you may be asked about your experience, past centres you've worked with, past positions, your strengths and weaknesses etc. You may also be asked on how you would handle different types of situations such as dealing with a difficult parent, how to handle an misbehaving child, what would you do if a child falls over, dealing with other staff etc. If you are applying for a Diploma position you will probably be asked on programming, understanding of EYLF and NQS etc.

I'm not too sure if you'll be asked all this over the phone though, it may just be a general chit chat... It's good to be prepared. I've also written the following article which may help:

Preparing For An Interview

I wish you the best of luck and let me know how it goes!

:geek:,
Lorina

BTW - Sorry for the late reply my daughter has been sick with an ear infection this week...

Rachana

Post by Rachana » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks lorina for your reply,I am preparing for an interview.will see what's going to happen.

I hope your daughter feels better.

Rachana

Rachana

Post by Rachana » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi Lorina,
I finished my interview.actually i applied for cerificate 3 assistant position. She just asked me general questions. she said that she is going to email me if i am success full.
I have one question she asked me why do you think you are the suitable person for this position?

I replied" I have 1 year 6 months of experience.i love children. i love being around them all the time.i have all the qualifications that needs for this position like first aid ,asthma anaphylaxis certificate. I am good at supervising children."

Do i need to add anything else?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:52 am

Hi Rachana,

Good to hear how your interview went! :thumbup:

Now the wait begins to see if you were successful for this position...

As for your response to the question asked I think your response was short and sweet. You could elaborate by giving examples on some of your responsibilities were although you did mention your overall experience, that you have all the necessary qualifications and you enjoy kids which is very important! Nice touch!

Thanks for the update and Good Luck!

Lorina

Rachana

Post by Rachana » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi lorina,
I went for an other interview.she asked me so many questions.
she asked me one scenario " In the room u r the only staff because the other staff went to the toilet. Mum came to pick the child and she wants to talk with you at the same time phone is ringing and one kid needs you what do u do in this situation.

I replied " I don't bother about the phone first i quickly tell the parent sorry i will be with u shortly because the other staff she just went to the toilet, then i go the child" i will ask him what he wants.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Yes, I'd do the same thing as well...

Let the phone go to voice mail, assist the child, apologise to the parent and you'll talk to her once the staff member comes back.

Just to get an idea, what other questions were you asked...

Lorina

Rachana

Post by Rachana » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi lorina,
She asked me so many questions.she took my interview for 45minutes. She asked me why do we need to communicate with the parents and lot scenarios questions.

I got a call from goodstart for face to face interview.i am nervous. Can u plz he me how to prepare and what to prepare for an interview.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:36 am

It's probably going to be the same or similar to what you had during the phone interview. Just make sure you read up on the EYLF and you're familiar with it!

Good Luck!

Lorina