Wage For ECT, 2IC, Room Leader Position

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Kooky28

Wage For ECT, 2IC, Room Leader Position

Post by Kooky28 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:10 pm

I am an ect with bachelor of teaching and diploma. I am educational leader, room leader and 2nd in charge. I'm also studying a master of education. I get paid $22 ish an hour... This is not right is it? I was director last year at a other centre before I graduated and got a lot more. I work in northern nsw at a 37 place private centre.
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Wage For ECT, 2IC, Room Leader Position

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:24 pm

As an ECT your wages fall under the "Educational Services Teachers Award 2010". As a 3 year trained ECT you will begin at Level 1 and as a 4 year trained ECT you will begin at Level 3 of the minimum pay scale (I'm not sure which one so I'm adding both for you). At Level 1 your minimum yearly salary is $39, 640/per year and for Level 3 your minimum yearly salary is $41,558/per year.

As a full time employee working in early childhood services you will also be paid an extra 4%. Within the Award it doesn't mention anything about higher duties while working as an 2IC. However, in the Children's Services Award it does mention that if you are an assistant director (2IC) and you have to perform the Director's duties it has to be for more than 2 consecutive working days in order to receive "higher duties" allowance.

Yes, Directors of centres are paid more than everyone else....

I'm adding a copy of the award below for your reference...

[attachment=0]award+for_ect.pdf[/attachment]
Hope this makes sense,

:geek:,
Lorina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorina

Re: Wage For ECT, 2IC, Room Leader Position

Post by Lorina » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:55 am

Kooky28 wrote:As I work part time; should that four percent be pro rata based on the hours I work?
Thanks for your prompt reply..
Yes, I think so... Regardless of whether you are working part time or full time you still should receive the 4% increase since an early childhood setting is opened more than 48 weeks in the year... In the Award it states:
A full-time employee who works in a children’s or early childhood service which usually provides services over a period of at least eight hours each day for 48 weeks or more (such as a long day care centre) will be paid an additional 4% on the rates set out in clause 14.1 on the basis that the employee is not covered by the provisions of clause 19—Ordinary hours of work.

A part-time employee will be paid pro rata, at the same rate as a full-time employee in the same classification.

:geek:,
Lorina