Under 18 year old workers

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
skyereid

Under 18 year old workers

Post by skyereid » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi all,

I am a 17 year old TAFE student, I have completed my Certificate 3 in Children's Services and I am currently working on my Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care.
I live in Southern NSW and I'd like to know if long day care centres normally hire 17 year olds or do they focus more on hiring people over 18?
I turn 18 in 6 months, would it be worth handing in resumes or would it be better to hand them in around the time of my birthday?
I know that being 17 means that I'm not allowed out of another educators supervision so that's what made me wonder if directors prefer to hire adults.

Lorina

Re: Under 18 year old workers

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:42 am

HI Skye,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

You have asked a valid question! On one hand you are eligible to be hired as an room assistant but on the other you're right you need to be supervised when with and around children. I think it really depends on the individual centre... If you get a position at a big centre with more staff within a room then I don't think it should be a problem since there are many staff around. However in smaller centres it may be a little harder to get a job since there will be less staff and an "adult" is probably preferable. Either way I say no harm in handing out your resume now itself. Who knows you may get a job at a centre before your 18th birthday!

Good Luck!

:geek:,
L.A

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi Skyereid

I just wanted to reply because when I was 17 I was in the same situation as you. I was 17 and a half and had completed my Cert 3 and was working on my Diploma. I approached a number of centres and got hired as a casual. I'm not saying it didn't take time because it did take me a while to get a job but when I did I was still 17 and it was great, I stayed there for over a year.

Hope this helps

Macoola

Purplebutterfly2006
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Purplebutterfly2006 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Hi!

Yes, it is possible to be employed in a childcare centre at 17. I Was in the same situation. I asked the centre that I did my prac at (have you asked your prac centre? They know you so you would have a better chance) and they employed me as a casual assistant. I asked them while I was still doing my prac as my prac was done over one day per fortnight over two years. It can be difficult as I have to be supervised at all times. Another idea is to do volunteer work, that way a centre will get to know you. But Yes! Hand out resumes, you'll never know until you ask. That's what I'm doing to find full time work. Hope all goes well.

Becr26 :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :D

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:34 am

Hi Skyereid,

It is fantastic to see you are studying and focused on your career.
I wish you all the best in your Diploma studies and I am sure you will be an asset to any centre that employs you.

Linsaa :wave: