Two job offers - which to chose?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
cbird

Two job offers - which to chose?

Post by cbird » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:42 am

Hi Everyone - I have been offered casual work by two different centres (one which I started Cert III prac at a few weeks ago, and the other which was advertising online which I went on an interview for). I have just started working in the industry after a career change. They both have pros and cons and I am having difficulty determining which one to go with. I was wondering from those of you who have years of experience in child care, what are the conditions you value the most in your workplace? Differences include the environment, the pay, the quality ratings, the staff etc. Thanks for your advice everyone, I really appreciate any help.

Lorina

Re: Two job offers - which to chose?

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:04 am

I would probably say thay I would chose a centre that I could bring me ideas and make a difference to the children ... One that would enable me the freedom and opportunities to grow as an educator and provide support to me. It doesn't have to be necessarily be the biggest centre but one that I could have an impact on..

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:14 am

It also depends what you want out of the job... If money is an important factor in your decision then see which centre is offering more... Usually go with your gut feeling...

:geek:,
Lorina

libbyjane

Post by libbyjane » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi cbird,

For me the values of the organisation are the most important aspect (ie. working for a not-for-profit vs. profit) because it affects many of the decisions they make and the workplace culture you'll find yourself in. Having autonomy and being trusted to do your job (not being micromanaged with tonnes of checklists). A nice, calming atmosphere/environment where people are unhurried was a big one for me. A supportive, highly-educated director. Also morale and fit are important, which is something that is difficult to determine from the outset (you only get that once you've been amongst it). Wages, conditions, etc are all important but not the determining factors of a good workplace.

Cheers,

Libbyjane

cbird

Post by cbird » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:01 pm

Fantastic - thanks for your thoughts. Will definitely take them on board.