Trial Shift

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Gabsrs

Trial Shift

Post by Gabsrs » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi,
I have a trial shift on tuesday at an amazing centre, I was wondering if therewere any tips that anyone has and anything that I should expect while on my trial. I was also wondering if trials are offered to everyone or do they pick people they really like? I'm so nervous, I want this so bad.

Thank you :)
Gab

Lorina

Re: trial shift

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:52 pm

Hi Gab,

With trial shifts, no they don't give them to everybody they only gives them to those who they really like and wish to employ. It's the last step when applying for a job at a centre. So after this, there is really a good chance that you will get the job!

A trail is for you to engage with the children and for them to see how you interact with others. Use this time to "sell yourself" basically. So, get involved with the activities and the children, help out the educators in the room, get an idea of what the routine is like etc. If you are not sure of something just ask! Really take this time as an opportunity to get a feel for the centre itself and how the centre is run and how the staff are. This trials also enables you to see if you like the centre and if you could work there if the job is offered.

After the trial is over just have a quick chat with the director and let her know that you enjoyed your time at the centre and you really would like the opportunity to work there full time and that you you look forward in hearing from them soon...

Good Luck!

Would love to hear how it goes!

:geek:,
Lorina

P.S -- Sorry for my late reply I went away for the weekend...

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:57 pm

Here are some tips as well (this is for students on Work Placement but it gives you a general idea):

Work Placement

Lorina

Gabsrs

Post by Gabsrs » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:23 pm

Thank you so much for your help and excellent knowledge on all of this! I don't know what I'd do without this forum and site, it's helped so much. I'll be sure to update you on how it all goes later this week.

Thanks again!
Gab

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:54 pm

Thanks for the kind words and support! Much Appreciated!!

Have fun!!

Lorina

Gabsrs

Post by Gabsrs » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:27 pm

Hello again!

I'm just writing to let you know that I received a job offer from the centre today and I accepted.

Thank you so much again.
Gab

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi Gab,

Congratulations! That's Fantastic!! :thumbup:

Enjoy your new centre!!

Lorina

Gabsrs

Post by Gabsrs » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:51 pm

THANK YOU! :)

Lorina

Re: Trial Shift

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:09 pm

FACEBOOK POST

I had 2 hr trial at my current centre. The 2 hrs ended up in me staying the whole day doing 8 hr shift and getting paid for it coz the dirèctor really loved how i worked it was also my first time in the babies room. Show initiation, ask question. I see alot of educators just become a surf guards. we r educators show interest in working with chn

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:09 pm

FACEBOOK POST

I agree be yourself. Get in and play, they will be watching how you scan(supervise) and interact with the children. Try to follow along with the routine and help the children during transition. If the staff dont give you any instructions just PLAY!!!! Good Luck.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:10 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Ask staff about children with allergies and intolerance. I forgot to add. Good luck again 🥰

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

Be yourself, they saw something in you so now is your time to shine. You’ve got this 😊

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

Interact with the children, play or read or sing etc. don’t just sit down, assist with cleaning. Ask staff is there anything you’d like me to do. Good luck.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:11 pm

FACEBOOK POST

I understand you'll be nervous, but go in with a sunny smile and make eye contact when you speak to anyone.

Use a moderated tone in your voice (don't shout).

Ask the room leader to explain the daily routine (there might be one posted).

Ask about any special needs children so you are aware about how to approach them.

Have a small notebook and pen so you can jot down questions (you may not have time to speak about this during a busy session).

Don't stand around watching. If you see something that needs tidying up, do it. If you see a child not engaged, offer to play, read a book, whatever you think is appropriate. Sing!

Observe how the staff interact with each other: does it feel like a good team?

Good luck!