Trainee Cert III alongside uni studies

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
nelly_

Trainee Cert III alongside uni studies

Post by nelly_ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:29 am

Hi
I'm 17 years old, have recently finished my year 12 studies and am looking for part time/casual work and I came upon the idea of undertaking a childcare traineeship. My intention is to study a bachelors course at university (after i recive my results) and I was wondering is practical or realistic to be able to have those two commitments at the same time? and do childcare centres typically facilitate future university students? I love working with kids and i like the idea of gaining the qualification to open my job options

Lorina

Re: Trainee Cert III alongside uni studies

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:03 pm

Doing a traineeship and a degree will take a lot of commitment and time management from your end. It will be a lot of work because you will be most likely be doing a full-time traineeship which will be a 38-hour working week and you will have to complete your cert 3 assignments as well as your uni degree... It is possible and I have had some students do this but you really have to be on top of your studies and work.

While doing your degree, you can actually begin working in a childcare centre since you will be "actively working towards" your qualification. Here is some more information:

Actively Working Towards A Qualification

So, this basically states that once you have completed 30% of your ECT degree you can be counted as a Diploma qualified educator.

I think you should start your degree and possibly find a job working in a centre so you can gain some experience...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:04 pm

BTW - Congratulations on completing Year 12!!

When do you turn 18?

Lorina

nelly_

Post by nelly_ » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:20 pm

Thanks Lorina!! still second guessing myself whether I should take on such a workload. I turn 18 next april :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:52 am

Well, it's really up to you... You could directly do the degree while gaining experience working in child care... Or you could do the Diploma, work in childcare for a year or so, confirm that's what you want to do then go to uni... Or do both.... Choices, choices, choices!

Lorina

katiedawn

Post by katiedawn » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi, I know this is an older post but I wanted to put my two cents in as I'm about to start my cert 3 in ECE while studying at university so I may be able to provide some information :)

I started my degree in 2016 while working in fast food. For various reasons I could not bear to work in fast food, and I was getting too old (and expensive) to keep getting regular, decent hours (I'll be nineteen in March). So I began job hunting and long story short was offered a part time role in an excellent centre, beginning in 2017, with two years to complete my Cert 3. Here's what I recommend to make it a bit easier if you choose to do both qualifications concurrently like me:

-If possible seek out a part time position so you have more time to focus on your uni studies
-Choose your university and the degree VERY CAREFULLY. I recommend choosing a flexible university which allows for online studies, evening classes, etc. My university offers a full external version of my degree (Arts/Secondary Education). If you're choosing to do a science heavy degree, even externally, be aware that you'll have a lot of pracs in which you'll physically need to be there, thus interfering with your work.
-Take advantage of summer classes! I'm doing two units over the summer break so I'll have a reduced workload when I start my Cert 3

My degree, whilst being in education, isn't related to childcare at all so I can't comment on the actively working towards your ECE qualification.

I'll let you know how I go (I start at my centre in less than a week). It's definitely possible as long as you're committed and organised :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:44 pm

katiedawn wrote:Hi, I know this is an older post but I wanted to put my two cents in as I'm about to start my cert 3 in ECE while studying at university so I may be able to provide some information :)

I started my degree in 2016 while working in fast food. For various reasons I could not bear to work in fast food, and I was getting too old (and expensive) to keep getting regular, decent hours (I'll be nineteen in March). So I began job hunting and long story short was offered a part time role in an excellent centre, beginning in 2017, with two years to complete my Cert 3. Here's what I recommend to make it a bit easier if you choose to do both qualifications concurrently like me:

-If possible seek out a part time position so you have more time to focus on your uni studies
-Choose your university and the degree VERY CAREFULLY. I recommend choosing a flexible university which allows for online studies, evening classes, etc. My university offers a full external version of my degree (Arts/Secondary Education). If you're choosing to do a science heavy degree, even externally, be aware that you'll have a lot of pracs in which you'll physically need to be there, thus interfering with your work.
-Take advantage of summer classes! I'm doing two units over the summer break so I'll have a reduced workload when I start my Cert 3

My degree, whilst being in education, isn't related to childcare at all so I can't comment on the actively working towards your ECE qualification.

I'll let you know how I go (I start at my centre in less than a week). It's definitely possible as long as you're committed and organised :)
Hi Katie,

Thanks so much for this! It will definitely help out other students!

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:45 pm

[ref]katiedawn[/ref], Would love to hear how you manage all once you get settled!

Enjoy your new centre!

Lorina

katiedawn

Post by katiedawn » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:49 pm

Lorina wrote: [ref]katiedawn[/ref], Would love to hear how you manage all once you get settled!

Enjoy your new centre!

Lorina
Thank you :) I am really looking forward to starting, hopefully all goes well!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:15 pm

I'm sure it will! Great start to the year!

Lorina