The long wait after a job interview

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Bensos
Participator
Participator

The long wait after a job interview

Post by Bensos » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:34 am

Does anyone else find themselves going out of their minds after a job interview? I can take applying for jobs and never hearing back, but after an interview I feel so invested.

I had an interview for a holiday programme worker on Monday just gone (28th August). I thought it went really well, the two ladies interviewing me seemed really happy and at the end of the interview said i would get an email in the next few days with a link and instructions for my police background check. Since then it's been absolute radio silence.

As the school holidays are less than 3 weeks away i am fairly confident that i was unsuccessful - but im too chicken to call and ask :sweating:

Am I the only one who gets like this?

Lorina

Re: The long wait after a job interview

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:10 pm

Yes! It makes me so anxious! Always staring at the phone or checking emails to make sure that you have missed the call... Especially when you feel that it went well and everything just clicked together!

Ok so you have to take the next step into your own hands. Give them a call or email them and thank them once again for the job interview then compliment the centre and let them know that you would really like the opportunity to work with them and see what they say. Sometimes you need to follow up just so you are not waiting and waiting and waiting. Wouldn't you rather know than to sit around wondering?

You have to make contact it's been a week now!

:geek:,
Lorina

Bensos
Participator
Participator

Post by Bensos » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks Lorina!

Application update: I spoke to the lady who I interviewed with on Tuesday morning and she apologised as they had been busy with meetings, and so would be doing reference checks this week. So its Thursday and no news as yet. The job starts on the 25th (just over 2 weeks away) and so now i'm wondering how much longer to leave it before calling again - or if i even should!

Starting to think that the cert III should come with a bit of training around the stress of applying for jobs :giggle:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Have u heard anything back as yet?

On Wednesday it was Educators Day and on Thursday it was an afternoon strike for participating centres in regards to a wage dispute so centres have been busy over the week.

If you haven't heard anything back by the coming Wednesday then you can probably follow up again...

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Yes I agree the students should have a bit of training in applying for jobs and going to interviews etc.

Good idea!

Lorina

Bensos
Participator
Participator

Post by Bensos » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:05 pm

I haven't heard back from the recruiter yet, but on Friday afternoon saw one of the people who is giving me a reference and she said she had spoken to them that afternoon. It was fairly late in the day though but I feel more optimistic so am happy to wait a few more days.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:17 pm

That's very good news!

Since you're reference has already spoken to them that's a step closer! Seems like you're pretty close to getting the job!

Expect a call on Monday I'd say!

Lorina

Bensos
Participator
Participator

Post by Bensos » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Unfortunately I didn't get the job. As expected I got one good reference from the daycare where I was on placement and some vague positive comments from my daughters principal (I am on school council and go in every week to do the reading program and volunteer at school holiday market and camps) . But it basically wasn't enough. None of my UK employers responded to requests for references except for one that said I was a contractor so they were only prepared to confirm my contract dates.

I'm really gutted, I miss having a job, and if I can't get references for a job that would be ten hours a week in the school holidays I really don't hold any hope for a full time job.

My interview feedback was really good, my interviewer said I was well presented, gave clear and appropriate responses and showed initiative. So I suppose I can be positive about that at least.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 pm

Oh, sh*t! I know you must be disappointed! Your interview went really well and the ladies seemed to like you and the only thing was the references! In my opinion, they shouldn't base everything on just the references! These can be faked and those not so good "educators" applying for the job can get glowing references from their friends and in the end turn out to be crap educators...

I'm so sorry to hear that! I just don't understand why they dismissed you because of the references... just seems a little unfair!

Keep your head up! Onto the next! Just keep trying, don't give up!

Lorina