Taking Certificate 3 course while waiting for QCT assessment

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Doreen C.

Taking Certificate 3 course while waiting for QCT assessment

Post by Doreen C. » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:39 pm

Hello everyone!

I just need some advice here with my dilemma in starting my study and career with child care industry.

So I am a licensed primary teacher overseas (Philippines) and now wanted to start my teaching career in Australia since now I am permanently living here.
ACEQA already assessed my qualifications and said nothing can be credited for Child Care Industry and that I should try with Queensland College of Teachers then whatever the result of the assessment with them, then I can start my study for Early Childhood Education whatever is needed.

QCT got my application 07/07/2015 and it is stated on their website that for overseas applicants it will only take 12 weeks to get the result. NOw it is already more that 12 weeks and still nothing is happening. I already spoke with them and they said all docs needed were all received and just waiting for the finalization of the assessment. But they can't tell me the exact date to release my assessment result. So frustrating!

So while waiting for that assessment result I decided to get a volunteer work in a Child Care Centre near my place and now they are offering me a casual job position once I started with my study. But I have no idea when to start since QCT is not giving me anything yet.

I spoke with TAFE and they said they can't offer me any appropriate Bridging Course unless my assessment with QCT is released.

Careers Australia told me that I can now do the Certificate 3 CHC30113 course and once I get the result with QCT, I can drop the course and start with the proper one needed. All the subjects I finished at that stage will all be credited to the proper course. Is that right? Am I not wasting time and money doing it that way? Or should I just wait and get over with the boredom and frustration?

I am so confused. I just want to make sure I will not be wasting my time and money. I would greatly appreciate it if you can all give me an idea on this one.
Thanks Heaps.

Doreen C.

Lorina

Re: Taking Certificate 3 course while waiting for QCT assessment

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Since you are a licensed teacher overseas, I think you will still need to do a course to be able to teach in Australia. Instead of doing the cert 3 course, it may be beneficial for you to actually do the Diploma course. The Diploma qualification enables you to work as a room leader in a centre where as an assistant only limits you to an assistant position. Also, the cert 3 units are also within the Diploma course as well as the diploma units. This way you can just do the Diploma course without dropping out of the cert 3 to go to the Diploma (if that's required). Bottom line is your qualification is from overseas and you still need to learn the laws, regulations, eylf, nqs etc that is required for centres here in Australia so you will need to do some type of course to learn about these...

Let me know if you have further questions,

:geek:,
Lorina

Doreen C.

Post by Doreen C. » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:20 am

Thanks a lot Lorina. I totally agree with you.
I am willing to do any course needed to get my qualifications properly done without wasting my time and money.

With your advice, now I am thinking of going for either the Diploma or ECE (so I can do both Childcare and Primary School up to Year3). I am leaning more to ECE.
I already spoke with SWinburne University for ECE course and they told me I really need to wait for my assessment result before they can help me with the course enrolment.

I will keep on trying calling other Universities and see what they would suggest with my situation. Uni classess/enrolment will not commence till next year anyway.

Maybe I just need to talk to the Child Care Administrator about my job offer to see if they would require me to start doing my study now or being enrolled now is enough getting the job. See how I'll go.

Do u have any Uni/Institution you can recommend?

Cheers,
Doreen C.

Doreen C.

Post by Doreen C. » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:10 pm

Hi Lorina,

I followed your advised and now on my 1st Term for Diploma in EC & Care with TAFE. So overwhelmed with the assessments but I'm getting there. I will be hanging around in this site.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

Doreen C.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:14 pm

Hi Doreen,

Great to hear that you are currently studying the Diploma! Yes, it can be a little overwhelming but you got our support on here!

You'll be right!

:geek:,
Lorina