Starting rate for a ECT?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
racheli

Starting rate for a ECT?

Post by racheli » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi there,

I just had a look on the wages list and am I reading it right that an bachelor trained ECT starts on a level 6.1 at $29.38? Thanks!!!

Lorina

Re: Starting rate for a ECT?

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:30 am

It depends what position you are at the centre... If you are a director of the centre you will be on Level 6.1, however if you are employed as an ECT your wages will be different and be reflected in the Educational Services Teachers Award 2010.

How many years trained as an ECT are you?

:geek:,
Lorina

racheli

Post by racheli » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:53 am

I have Diploma at the moment and just looking at what's next for me. I'm considering studying birth -5 years to work either in a LDC or Preschool setting as the Teacher but trying to work out if it was really worth it finically. I know each centre can vary, I always get so confused by that wage page, haha!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:26 am

Yeah, it's better finding out if the study is worth it so to speak...

Once you become an ECT, your wages will come from the from the Educational Services Teachers Award 2010 rather than the Children's Services Award 2010. When you do the ECT degree you are either 3 year trained or 4 year trained so this determines what Level you will be starting from in terms of wages. As a 3 year trained teacher you will start on Level 3 and your full time hourly wage $25.72. If you are a four year trained ECT you start on Level 4 and your full time hourly wage is $26.65. However, these wages are based on you being an ECT within a service. Once you complete your degree just make sure that you get a job as an ECT so that way your rates will be on the Educational Services Teachers Award 2010.

Another way to increase your wage is becoming a Director of the service. As you have seen, an ECT Director of the service can earn more than $30 an hour. It is beneficial to do a degree in terms of pay because it does increase in the long run and you have the option of being an ECT, Director and working as a teacher (if you do the degree for birth to 8 or birth to 12 years).

I hope this will help make your decision and if there is anything else I can help you with let me know.

Cheers,
Lorina