Starting a childcare in sydney

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Rara1

Starting a childcare in sydney

Post by Rara1 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:20 am

Hi,

I am currently holidaying in Greece and have had my 2 kids in childcare for the past year. It had always been a passion of mine to open a business that caters for kids and after the childcare experience I have had here that is exactly want I want to do. I do not have any childcare qualifications or experience but the owners of the childcare here are interested in going into business and are willing to send qualified teachers to sydney. The childcare will be aimed at greek families.

What are the requirements for employees, will their diplomas/degrees be recognised in aus? How do I find out where to start?

Any information is much appreciated.

Lorina

Re: Starting a childcare in sydney

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:29 pm

Yasou!

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

Starting a centre in Australia is hard work. There are regulations and laws that need to be followed, standards that need to be maintained, a curriculum framework that needs to implemented and more! It's like every business, it's takes so much work at the beginning but once you get started then the fun really begins!

In regards to qualifications these will need to be assessed by ACECQA (national childcare body). Not, all overseas qualifications will be accepted since it's different in regards to law, regulations and curriculum so it's best to go through ACECQA to find out if any part of the qualifications there in Greece is accepted in Australia. From what I have read, you'll most probably find that it isn't accepted and you will need to educators in Australia who are Australian qualified. I'm not too sure though so it's best to contact them in regards to qualifications...

Qualification Assessment

In regards to aiming it at Greek Families it's a niche idea. It's probably best to find a suburb populated by a strong Greek community. Such as Earlwood, Sans Souci, Marrickville and Belmore. However, you can't really focus on only having "Greek families" the majority may be Greek but you need to include all different types of cultures within the service (part of the National Quality Standards).

Here is some more information that also may help:

Starting A Childcare Business

This article will also provide you with external links on where to get further information.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

jennycr123

Post by jennycr123 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:57 am

Lorina you are right.
There are many rules for opening any business in Sydney.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:23 am

jennycr123 wrote:Lorina you are right.
There are many rules for opening any business in Sydney.
I think Australia overall especially in childcare have so many regulations and laws to follow which I completely agree with... In some countries (not sure about Greece) you can start a child care centre so easily without having any qualifications or any approvals. It's great for those with experience and wanting support the community but then it also can be negative as standards can be very poor for those just doing it to make money...

Lorina

Rara1

Post by Rara1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:38 am

Hi lorina,

Thankyou for the information and links. I am aware there are many regulations in opening a childcare in Australia, I am just not sure where to start. Many people would be surprised but the childcare run in Greece is far more professional and follow much stricter guidelines than what I have experienced in sending my 2 children to childcare in Australia. All the staff have tertiary education so hopefully part of that is recognised in Australia. I will follow up on the links you sent.

Many thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:56 am

Rara1 wrote:Hi lorina,

Thankyou for the information and links. I am aware there are many regulations in opening a childcare in Australia, I am just not sure where to start. Many people would be surprised but the childcare run in Greece is far more professional and follow much stricter guidelines than what I have experienced in sending my 2 children to childcare in Australia. All the staff have tertiary education so hopefully part of that is recognised in Australia. I will follow up on the links you sent.

Many thanks

That's good to know! Since in Greece the guidelines are strict hopefully opening up a centre in Sydney may be a little easier! Since also you're idea is to accommodate Greek families you can probably add extras such as learning greek and greek dancing. I'm half greek myself so this was a part of my weekly routine until I was 18 years old!

I really wish you all the best and I hope you're able to get the centre opened!

Let me know if you need any further help,

Lorina