Should I believe what my director says about my underpaid wage?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
jindalbee

Should I believe what my director says about my underpaid wage?

Post by jindalbee » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:58 pm

Hi,

I am a certi 3 holder and have worked for a LDC since last year.

I got a casual job in my prac centre last year and have been working there as a casual for nearly 9 months.
I recently realized that I am being paid lower that legal minimum which is $25.76. (I have been paid $21)
I know it is a shame but I did not know about minimum wage in this industry.
I asked the director and the director says they did not know about the new awards, and it is the owner that looks after the pay.
The director exactly knew how much I am getting paid, so basically what the director is saying is that
they were not aware of the new minimum only.
Can a director/owner not know this stuff?
It is important for me to know if it is a pure mistake or they are simply ripping me off,
because I am going to ring the Ombudsman if that is the case.

Can someone please help me on this matter?

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Should I believe what my director says about my underpaid wage?

Post by linsaa fdc » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:45 am

Hi Jindalbee,

I don't know specifically about centres but I do know about paying staff wages because we have in various businesses for over 30 years, and it is up to the employer to make sure they are up to date with the current award wages and that they are paying their staff accordingly and also paying their super on time.
Unless you signed an agreement for a certain pay it is up to them.
Look into it, our jobs are hard enough as it is and we are underpaid in general in this industry as it is, let alone not being paid the correct amount.

Linsaa fdc :wave:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:27 am

How could a director/owner not know or be aware about the new minimum wage? That's not good!

Fair Work Australia sends newsletters regularly updating businesses/owners of any changes that are happening including minimum wages. I received an email from Fair Work Australia 2 months before the increase of the award, notifying me of the changes that will take place.

Anyways, being underpaid apparently is a common occurrence in this industry so I contacted Fair Work Australia and asked them what happens if you were to find out that you were being underpaid and this is what they said:

An employer needs to ensure they are paying the correct minimum rates for the hours of work performed. If an employee has been underpaid, the first step would be to make a formal request for payment: calculate how much is owed and send a request to the employer requesting payment by a certain date (best practice is in writing such as email).

So, you have a right to be back paid for the hours you worked!

How many other educators in your centre are also being underpaid because the director/owner not know about the new award!

Gets me so frustrated that "management" do this to their staff!

:geek:,
Lorina

jindalbee

Post by jindalbee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:45 am

Thank you so much Lorina and Linsaa FDC!! I contacted Ombudsman and contacted the director then back paid. They keep saying that it was a pure mistake.
It is sad that it is a common occurrence. :think:
I hope this does not happen to anyone else.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:32 pm

jindalbee wrote:Thank you so much Lorina and Linsaa FDC!! I contacted Ombudsman and contacted the director then back paid. They keep saying that it was a pure mistake.
It is sad that it is a common occurrence. :think:
I hope this does not happen to anyone else.
That's awesome that you were able to get this issue sorted out and your centre backpaid you! Did they backpay you for the entire 9 months you had previously worked there? How was the process going through the ombudsmen?

Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:20 am

That is amazing news, so nice to hear a happy ending. I hope this encourages others to not sit back but to do something :wave:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:55 am

Yeah I agree! A happy ending for all of you!

Lorina