Setting up a Forest-Childcare/Creche?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Justine369

Setting up a Forest-Childcare/Creche?

Post by Justine369 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:36 am

Hi there everyone!
I'm new here, and would be very grateful for any advice you could give me on the birthing of my idea :-)
First a little bit about myself - I have lived in Berlin for the past 20 years and am returning to Melbourne to spend time with my aged parents. I worked as a musician (singer, guitarist, pianist) for my whole life, and taught kids music and english occasionally. As I always had a gift with kids, I ended up having two little boys of my own, and am thoroughly enjoying the experience. One of the highlights of my day has become the times when I bring my kids to creche, and pick them up, as I just love chatting with all the kids together at the creche in that stimulating environment. You may or may not know that Berlin has an amazing childcare service, and I have learned a lot from the educators there.
Anyway - my idea is to setup a small daycare business in a rural suburb of Melbourne - one with some trees around - and offer a kind of "Wilderness Creche". The idea of Wilderness Creches has started to catch on in Germany, and I saw a really informative documentary about it. Basically you would have a simple building with amenities provided, right on a forested block. In the mornings between 9 and 11 you'd take the kids on a wander and allow them to develop their own play-games etc. and the rest of the day would be spent in the building having lunch and naptime, and then in the afternoon you'd play games with them in a fenced-off area in front of the creche building. I am basically just wondering a) do I need any qualifications other than a Paediatric Emergency Certificate, Police check etc. (I have a B.A. in music if that's any help) b) how many educators do you need per number of kids and c) what kind of insurance would I/the business need. And d) are there any laws against a creche in a forested area? In the doco that I saw a bunch of parents got together and hired 2 qualified pre-school educators.
Thanks so much for listening! Like-minded individuals are always welcome!

Lorina

Re: Setting up a Forest-Childcare/Creche?

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

It's a really nice idea! Since now childcare settings need to focus more on getting involved in nature and the environment, I think this will fit in perfectly with this aspect of the framework. However, you will still need to adhere to the Australian building standards, the National Regulations and Law (for early childhood settings), Health and Safety, The National Quality Standards and implementing the Early Years Learning Framework. If you can somehow manage to do this, then you have a really good idea which can probably turn into a successful business.

If you were to erect your own building, it can't exactly be "simple". You need to make sure it has child sized toilets, washing facilities, nappy change areas, a kitchen, enough room for the amount of children within the centre...there is alot of planning involved. The rules are very strict here in regards to opening and running an early childhood setting.

Also, it's probably a good idea to get a Cert 3 or Diploma qualification. If you want to work with the children yourself, you need to have a cert 3 qualification minimum. It's good to complete the qualification just so you can get an understanding of what is expected at the service in regards to policies, dealing with families, programs and documentation required, the laws, regulations, basically getting to learn about everything you to know for an early childhood setting.

It's a really good idea you have! I hope you can pull it off!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Here is some information on the Building Requirements:

Building Requirements

Let me know if you need further information,

Lorina

Justine369

Post by Justine369 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:57 am

Wow thank you so much for the helpful response Lorina! I can't believe how many links you posted for me! :-)
I am going to have to do a lot more homework than I expected, it seems, if I'm going to do this, not to mention inspired team members...
Is there anyone out there with a similar dream/inspiration?

Justine369

Post by Justine369 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:58 am

Btw - does anyone know what's the minimum amount of time for a Cert 3? Does a B.A. in music help..?
Thanks in advance!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:54 pm

Happy to help! :thumbup:

Yeah, this idea will take a lot of time, effort and research to work out exactly how you can acheive it. It's also good to come up with a plan which you can create while reading through the information... This will give you an idea on the steps involved and how you going to pursue them. So, step 1 may be getting a qualification. A cert 3 can probably be completed in a year if you do it by correspondence/online. During the course you're required to do work placement in which you'll be volunteering at a centre to complete assignments and tasks...This will give you first hand experience on what it's like working at a childcare centre. Also, you should think about working in a centre casually/part time to gain experience and knowledge. Once you start and enrolled in your course you can begin working...

Lorina