Setting up a Family Daycare

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Setting up a Family Daycare

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:42 pm

No business plan. We have been self employed for 30 years and I have been an FDC Educator for 19 years well before business plans were in.
You can write a plan and set yourself small achievable goals, there is a lot involved with FDC but take each little thing one at a time and don't let it overwhelm you.
Check out if there are any FDC schemes near you and give them a call too. Just remember there are bad apples wherever you go in whatever field you work in so don't let anyone turn you off, just let them make you better at what you want to do and the service you want to offer.
Feel free to ask me anything, I'm happy to help. :thumbup:
Bye :wave:
Linsaa fdc :D

tinytots
Participator
Participator

Post by tinytots » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:42 pm

Thank you heaps for your advice Linsaa :) I have booked in for a FDC scheme to chat with me about it all. Will let you know how it all goes xx

tinytots
Participator
Participator

Post by tinytots » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:43 pm

Thank you heaps for your advice Linsaa :) I have booked in for a FDC scheme to chat with me about it all. Will let you know how it all goes xx

clbell1

Post by clbell1 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi there, I'm new to this site. I too am thinking very seriously about a career change and starting a FDC. I have found reading your comments really helpful in answering some of the questions I have so thank you. I have lots of questions and wondered if anyone could answer the following?
- If your own child is unwell, how do you manage this with the children in your care?
- Holidays/leave- do you advise parents in a given timeframe if you are planning taking holidays? (I'm assuming being self employed this is unpaid)
- Do parents pay you directly or do they pay your scheme who then passes on your payment after deducting there admin costs?
- approximate insurance costs?
Any advice would be much appreciated!

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi Clbell1,

Your child counts in your numbers unless they are in high school. If your child is just slightly unwell and just needs a restful day you are fine. If they have a bad flu or vomiting and the runs... anything contagious.... then you have to take the day off work to look after her so no one else catches anything. Some new educators worry about this but if you worked anywhere else you would have to take the day off as well, if you have family who could be your backup (like if you worked out of the home) for sick days and your child goes to them you don't have to take the day off and lose income.... as long as they stay there for the whole work day.

I always let my parents know as soon as I know when I am taking holidays then remind them again a month beforehand because a lot forget and it gives them plenty of time to organise their holidays or alternate care with another educator in the scheme or with family or friends......yes that is unpaid because you are self employed.

Fees are made up of 3 components....CCB +CCR +parent gap fee. The parents give you their part, the gap fee.....[some schemes collect it off the parents most don't] then the rest is made up from CCB +CCR and the office sorts that out when you submit your timesheets fortnightly or weekly and takes out their levies and deposits the balance into your account usually fortnightly some schemes do it weekly.

Public Liability this year with FDCCA was around $450..... you can pay it all at once but they do offer a 10 monthly payment option.

Feel free to ask anything else
Linsaa fdc :wave:

Rencia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rencia » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:00 pm

Do you need to register with VIT to open FDC or is a Diploma enough?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:09 am

Rencia wrote:Do you need to register with VIT to open FDC or is a Diploma enough?
As far as I'm aware a Cert 3 qualification is enough to get started...

:geek:,
Lorina

flossybeth5

Post by flossybeth5 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:25 am

I've been advised that I should register with DECD to be officially recognised however in my internet searches I've come across an organisation called Family Daycare Australia; could anyone please tell me if FDCA are an organisation who are also 'official' or are they more of a support group?

Thanks

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:20 pm

Dear ladies,
You need to be enrolled in your cert 111 to start FDC. You will work under the umbrella of an FDC scheme and they are registered with all the necessary bodies.
FDCA is who we all have our public liability insurance with.
Regards
Linsaa fdc :wave:

clbell1

Post by clbell1 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:07 am

Thank you for your response! I may have some more questions in the future and I really appreciate your help!

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:29 am

No worries anytime, happy to help :wave:

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:30 am

No worries anytime, happy to help :wave: