Fine Motor Skills Activities

Kids Activities, Art and Crafts, Cooking Ideas, Kids Songs and Games related discussions.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Fine Motor Skills Activities

Post by Steffelz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:33 pm

I recently took my son for his 3 year old developmental check up, everything was good except a few of his fine motor things, such as grasping a pen/pencil/crayon properly, he still uses his fist to hold it. He still has no hand preference.
he has a lot of trouble trying to draw shapes amongst other things.
The child assessor gave me a sheet with a few ideas of how to get him to sit down and practise the skills, but he isnt interested at all. Im trying to make it fun for him.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: 3 year old fine motor skill help

Post by cathiek » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:13 pm

HI Steffelz.
You could try hiding things in playdough (like marbles) and getting him to find them and pull them out. Also sticking matchsticks (the ones with no flame end!) into the playdough to make echidnas etc. Rolling playdough into snakes is good for finger strength. Threading is good for fine motor - something like lacing cards (you can print off some from internet and laminate) or making pasta necklaces etc. What about using chalks to draw on the path outside - easy to wash off and you can start with bigger chalks and then get smaller. Painting on an easel (or any work on a vertical surface like that) is good for hand/wrist/finger strength.
Have heaps more if you like but hope that helps for a start.
Cathiek

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 3 year old fine motor skill help

Post by Steffelz » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi Cathiek, thanks heaps! He can thread though which is weird and sometimes I can get him to use his blackboard but, he just likes the noise that the chalk makes when he scribbles, but yea Im really interested in any other stuff you have :)
Thanks again :)