Rate of pay for a Room Leader (Diploma not completed)???

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
StephanieLeigh

Rate of pay for a Room Leader (Diploma not completed)???

Post by StephanieLeigh » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi! I'm really sorry if this has already been answered.

I was employed on the 1st October as an Early Childhood Educator - Cert III, Level 3.1, with a pay of $19.64
In November my Director asked if I'd like to step in as Room Leader in the PreKinder room, and I started in that role roughly towards the end of November/start of December.
I'm halfway through my Diploma being completed, which I'll be finished with in June.
My question is that although I have now been in charge of this room for at least 4.5 months, doing all of the program planning etc on my own, my pay has not changed from $19.64. Is this because I haven't finished my Diploma and will it go up when I am finished? Or should it already have gone up? Although I am in this role they never gave me a new contract with my new job title and on my payslip it still says that I am classified as a Level 3.1, have they maybe done this to get around not needing to pay me as a Room Leader? I'm just a bit confused, and I can never understand the different pay Levels that the Award mentions.

Any answers would be appreciated, thank you!

Orangedragonfly

Re: Rate of pay for a Room Leader (Diploma not completed)???

Post by Orangedragonfly » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:18 pm

You should have discussed it straight away. Sometimes the rate stays until diploma but is cetre asks to do that job and happy with you work you should be paid accordingly usually as quailifications and skills increased and time in centre etc pay should be a topic your not afraid to ask about don't ask don't receive heres an address so you an check good luck
http://www.fairwork.gov.au/ArticleDocum ... e.rtf.aspx

StephanieLeigh

Post by StephanieLeigh » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Great thank you for the info and link :)!

I'm pretty sure they said they'd write me a new contract when I finished my Diploma, but I wasn't sure if they should still be paying me more than a Level 3.1 since I'm now in a higher role than what I'm being paid for.

StephanieLeigh

Post by StephanieLeigh » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:06 pm

Sorry - I just found this

http://aussiechildcarenetwork.com.au/ar ... care-wages

Would being a Room Leader but not having finished my Diploma yet mean that I am a Level 4A?

"Level 4A

This is an employee who has not obtained the qualifications required for a Level 4 employee who performs the same duties as a Level 4 employee.

Level 4

This is an employee who has completed a Diploma in Children's Services or equivalent (e.g. Certificate IV in Out of School Hours Care) as recognised by licensing authorities and is appointed as the person in charge of a group of children in the age range from birth to 12 years or an employee who is appointed as an Authorised Supervisor (as defined in the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 (NSW)). An employee at this level will also take on the same duties and perform the same tasks as a CSE Level 3.

Indicative duties:

Responsible, in consultation with the Assistant Director/Director for the preparation, implementation and evaluation of a developmentally appropriate program for individual children or groups.
Responsible to the Assistant Director/Director for the supervision of students on placement.
Responsible for ensuring a safe environment is maintained for both staff and children.
Responsible for ensuring that records are maintained accurately for each child in their care.
Develop, implement and evaluate daily care routines.
Ensure that the centre or service's policies and procedures are adhered to."

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:38 am

Yes, you're right! You should be paid as a Level 4A which is a minimum of $20.96/per hour (full time)...

Childcare Wages In Australia

:geek:,
Lorina

StephanieLeigh

Post by StephanieLeigh » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:10 am

Thank you so much for your help!

Orangedragonfly

Post by Orangedragonfly » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Now to approach your centre and 'flaunt' your worth! :) If you really like being there and they really like you being there! gotta be a win win!? all the best.

StephanieLeigh

Post by StephanieLeigh » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:31 am

Lol I think I'll bring it up when I've completed my Diploma in 2 months and they give me a new contract. In an 'Oh I just wanted to check, I had a look the other day and noticed....' round about way ;).

Thanks!