Pay rate for a bachelor qualified group leader

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
law92
Helper
Helper

Pay rate for a bachelor qualified group leader

Post by law92 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:34 am

Hi

I am just wondering if anyone can give me any information about how much a bachelor qualified group leader would be paid? I am just wondering because I'm currently studying at uni studying a bachelor of education (0-8years) but am hating the primary aspect of it. I've been really stressed out having to do the primary aged pracs to the point of having panic attacks and I just have no interest in teaching the older children. So, I've decided I'm going to change my degree to a bachelor of teaching (0-5 years) and this will qualify me to be a group leader as it doesn't lead to teacher registration which is good for me.
So I just want to know, because I will have a degree, will I get paid more than a diploma qualified? Or will it be the same as it is still a group leader position? I'm looking to get work in a babies/toddlers room hopefully when I've graduated.

Lorina

Re: Pay rate for a bachelor qualified group leader

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:25 pm

If you are employed as an ECT of the service then you will be paid as an ECT. With a degree you will most likely get the preschool position since ECT's a now required to work with preschoolers rather than the babies or toddlers. Is that something you are interested in doing? Working with the preschoolers?

:geek:
Lorina

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Hi Lorina

I don't wish to be an ECT as you need to do the Bachelor of education (0-8 years), which is a 4 year degree, for this position. It is a requirement of kindy teachers to have teacher registration, which you get from this bachelor of education, so they can receive the funding for the kindergarten program. The degree I am changing to won't lead to teacher registration, but will qualify me to work as a group leader. So, when I apply for group leader positions, I will be 3 years qualified with a degree rather than 2 years qualified with a diploma-if that makes sense? lol. I would rather work with the younger children in the babies/toddlers rooms rather than the preschoolers. So, I'm just wondering if having a degree as a group leader would change the rate of pay instead of just having a diploma as I will be more qualified? Just really interested in finding out what the pay rate for a group leader is with a 3 year degree.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:17 am

I just checked the Approved Qualifications list in ACECQA and you don't have to be a registered teacher to teach in a preschool for 4 -5 year olds. You can still be an ECT in a long day care setting with the Bachelor Of Teaching (0 to 5 years). From what I understand you only have to register as a teacher if you want to teach in Primary school. If you just want to work in early childhood then you don't need to register as a teacher, it's not required. So, regardless when you complete the Bachelor of Teaching (0 to 5 years) you will be considered as ECT teacher.

Qualifications List

As ab ECT You would be on the Educational Services Teacher Award 2010. When completing your degree you're typically either 3 or 4 year trained and this will make a difference of your pay. As a 3 year trained ECT you begin at Level 1 and as a 4 year trained ECT you begin at Level 3. A 5 year trained will commence on Level 4. Level 1 - 3 year trained: $39,640/per year, Level 3 - 4 year trained: $41,558/per year, Level 4 - 5 year trained: $44, 558/per year. In the Award it also states a full time employee working in early childhood service (LDC) will be paid an additional 4%.

You can download the ECT Award from here:

Centre ECT Wage

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:12 am

Hi Lorina

Thanks for the info. That's good to know. I hope I will be able to find work as a group leader in a babies room- hopefully I won't be too over qualified lol. I just feel more comfortable with the little ones rather than a kindy/preschool.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:17 am

You can also be a Director with an ECT degree...

I think you're probably the first ECT I met, that didn't want to work with preschoolers! :lol:

:geek:,
Lorina