PAY & HOURS! 3rd Year University Student - Room Leader

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Stacey Louise

PAY & HOURS! 3rd Year University Student - Room Leader

Post by Stacey Louise » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:46 pm

Hello,

I'm the room leader of the preschool room and have been so since April '14.
I am currently qualified as a certificate 3 in children's services and my boss is paying me diploma wage.
Although, I am a 3rd year University student studying to be an ECT and Primary school teacher.

I have a few questions;
Is the pay any different that I am more experienced? Although I am a student?
I am hired as a full-time staff member but I'm receiving part-time hours a week. They want me to sign the part-time contract, but I don't want to. Do I have to do this?
I am doing part-time hours with a full-time work load. Is this okay?
I'm a cert 3, getting paid at diploma level. Do I get yearly payrises still or?

If you can answer these questions, that would be a major help!

Cheers. :)

Lorina

Re: PAY & HOURS! 3rd Year University Student - Room Leader

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:25 am

Since you're only a cert 3 and you're a diploma room leader you should be on Level 4A.2 (after 1 year "April 14") which is $21.78/per hour (before tax). After 2 years (next April) you will receive another pay rise $22.07/per hour. Then it keeps going up a little until 4 years. However, in the mean time when you complete your ECT degree and you're appointed as an ECT your pay rate my change again.

In regards to doing full time work load what do you mean exactly? Are you given the responsibility to complete all the necessary documentation (programming, planning etc)? Why don't they add you as a full time staff member? If you're working part time you should be sharing your job role with another educator as well as the responsibility of programming, planning and documentation etc.

Here is some informations on wages etc.

Childcare Wages In Australia
Levels For Childcare Wages

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina