OSHC

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
racheli

OSHC

Post by racheli » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:57 pm

Does anyone work on OSHC ? Do you like? Don't? What's the pay difference?

Lorina

Re: OSHC

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:28 am

Long ago I worked in an OOSH. I was working as a 2IC and did both the morning and afternoon shifts. The morning shift I usually started at 7am before 7:30am arrival of children. We got breakfast ready, did room set up etc. Mornings are very easy to manage and usually only 2 staff with the children. I usually finished by 9am.

In the afternoon, I came in at about 2:30pm with the co-ordinator where we would begin preparing afternoon tea, set-up and arrange afternoon experiences, collect younger children from classroom etc. We had most uni students working part time in the afternoon as well. Staff meetings were usually done before children arrived in the afternoon and all educators would start 15 minutes before their shift to prepare for the afternoon, read any messages, find out what they will be doing etc. We would close at 6pm.

Having the middle hours during the day free is helpful if you are studying etc, as you can do it during this time, However since you are working permanent part time you get paid for only permanent part time work unlike in an LDC where you are working full time. You also get broken shift allowance since your are working split shifts as well. In regards to pay it's the same as what you will be getting within an LDC depending on your level.

I found it very different working in an OOSH. Within an LDC you form partnerships with the families, you build a nurturing relationship with each child and treat them like their your own, get attached... In OOSH, they are older and you don't get really attached to the children. You're there do a job and go home. You form friendships with the children but it's different since the children are older...

Programming and planning is great and you can really let the children's interests soar! The older children get really involved in the experiences you provide and they come up with a lot of good ideas which can lead into all sorts of different directions. Since the children are able to communicate you can provide a child lead program from the start and they can even help with evaluating of the experiences...

Overall I enjoyed my time in OOSH and I'm glad I got to experience working with the older children which helped me to boraden my knowledge and develop new skills,

Just thought I'd share my thoughts with you,

:geek:,
L.A