No Experience or qualifications in Child care

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
unknown10

No Experience or qualifications in Child care

Post by unknown10 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:18 pm

Will it be harder for new educators with no experience whatsoever in the child care industry to get a job in child care when they apply?

If they only have cert three, first aid, anaphylaxis, asthma & police check an their resume is only two or three pages?!

Lorina

Re: No Experience or qualifications in Child care

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:15 am

In my opinion, I'd say yes. Childcare is competitive these days because there are so many people getting qualifications now and if you have experience then you would probably be more favourable over someone who doesn't. Also, I believe some centres don't have time to wait until a staff member is competent and confident, they would rather through them in the "deep end", so to speak. If you have no experience try working casually for a couple of months to gain some expereince and this will give you confidence when going for interviews.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to get a job with no experience I just think it will be harder...

:geek:,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi Unknown10,
I think it would also make a difference what area you are looking for work in. Where we are there are so many centres and they are always looking for staff as it seems to have a high turnover. Family Day Care accepts new educators with the qualifications you have.
All the best
Linsaa fdc :wave:

unknown10

Post by unknown10 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:52 pm

Looking for casual work in Melbourne but mostly around the western suburbs Melbourne but might have to look further out from the west suburbs

unknown10

Post by unknown10 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:55 pm

would placement count as experience when applying? like when your doing your cert 3/ diploma placement or does it have to be actual experience as a educator?

unknown10

Post by unknown10 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:59 pm

I competed my cert 3, got my first aid, asthma and anaphylaxis certificate, police check and Working with children's check card but I just need to update my cv and do a cover letter to start applying.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:44 pm

unknown10 wrote:would placement count as experience when applying? like when your doing your cert 3/ diploma placement or does it have to be actual experience as a educator?

Yes, you can definitely add that to your resume as well as make a list of what you did during work placement so you can show your skills and abilities. For example: set up experiences, lead a group time on "dinosaurs", supervised children during outdoor play, assisted wit the running of the room etc.

You certainly have everything you need to get started! isten, even if you don't have that much experience as long as you show that you are eager and will be a good member of the team then that's all that matters!

Here are some other ideas:

Cold Calling For Work

Hope this helps,

Lorina

luke.InspireEd

Post by luke.InspireEd » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:55 am

Hi there Unknown!

Experience really is important when looking for jobs (it also depends on your location like what Linsaa said). Your work placement counts, but make sure that you don't just put something like "Completed 120 hours at Melbourne Star Child Care Centre".

You can maximize whatever amount of experience you have by listing down what tasks you did and what you achieved during that time. This helps the hiring manager imagine you doing those things at their facility. You can also do this for your cover letter by giving examples of scenarios and responsibilities in your placement that show how you perform in an actual child care setting. These help to make your application less generic :)

unknown10

Post by unknown10 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks. Tbh I wouldn't have a clue as to what to put down on my resume and cover letter at first but I am getting help from my trainer an all. I have done 140 hours of placement but it was in four months but when I apply for child care jobs it's a minimum of six months experience. thanks for your help guys, much appreciated :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun May 17, 2015 4:10 am

Yeah it's hard to start out in this industry now!

Here are some ideas you can use in regards to your resume -

Creating A Resume

Lorina