Minimum salary for Cert 3

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Jade85

Minimum salary for Cert 3

Post by Jade85 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi all :wave:
I finished my Cert 3 through TAFE last October. I've been working casually (casually but every day, if that makes sense) in LDCs and in an OOSH since last July. In May/June I want to start looking for a full-time position in a preschool or LDC - anywhere that's reputable! I'm wondering about salary. I live in Sydney and I don't think I can survive and save money on less than 40k per year (not including super) - I'd probably have to go back to my old career if that were the case. Does anyone know what the minimum rate works out to be as a salary? I tried looking at the table of pay rates but it was a tad confusing :oops: :?
Thank you so much in advance :thumbup:

Lorina

Re: Minimum salary for Cert 3

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:33 am

Yeah the table of pay rates can be a little daunting if you don't know your Level and what exactly you're looking for. Hopefully I can explain it to you and you can work out the best option.

Alright, since you have completed your cert 3 in October last year you're at Level 3.1 so your minimum wage is $19.64/ per hour full time. However, after a year with your cert 3 qualification you will change to Level 3.2 and your minimum wage will increase to $20.31/ per hour full time. So this will take in effect from October since that's when you finished your qualification. You will need to keep on top of this since some employers are forgetful so, in September itself you can begin discussing the wage increase with the Director to make sure that you get your right amount...

However, for now you should be getting a minimum $19.64/per hour. Some centres do offer "above award" and offer other allowances on top of this amount so your final wage could be increased. However, it really depends on the individual centre and what they are willing to offer. It also depends on location and suburb etc.

Hope this helps and good luck with the job hunting,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:38 am

Oops forgot to add the following:

Levels For Childcare Wages
Childcare Wages In Australia

Lorina

Jade85

Post by Jade85 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:54 pm

Thanks so much Lorina :)
I put it into a pay calculator and it comes out as a salary of approx $38-39k before super, which isn't too bad - at the end of the day, I'd take a pay cut to do something I enjoy. Appreciate your help!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:04 pm

Yeah, no problems!

That's the difference in doing something you love and passionate about and doing something just for the sake of work...

Good Luck with the job hunting!

Lorina