Meds, sickies & privatise: Questions from Newbie

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Giitara
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Meds, sickies & privatise: Questions from Newbie

Post by Giitara » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:29 pm

(Aiming for a job in Acorn childcare, Bundaberg. Am 17 & I'm studying cert 3 right now. Never had a job before either)

If you're working can you keep medications in your bag? Can you leave to take your meds when working?

If you get bad period pain for 2 days, how do you ask to leave ..every month? Would it count as sick days? What if you run out of sick days or are really sick with the flu?

Do you still have to work when you've broken your ankle/leg?

Do you get lunch breaks? How many for how long? Can you skip them? Are you allowed to leave the centre?

In the first year working at a centre, if you get really sick & can't work for 2+ weeks what would you do? How would the boss react? Would you get paid?

Do childcare centres have cameras? What about in the bathrooms?

Where would you put your bag when working? Would there be a place to lock it up?

What happens if you go to work with the flu?

Lorina

Re: Meds, sickies & privatise: Questions from Newbie

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:15 am

1) Yes, it should be fine as long as you put them in a sealed box so a child can't access them if they happen to get to your bag.

2) If you have sick days accumulated, you could use a sick day otherwise it would be a sick day without pay. I had struggled for over 8 years with extreme period pain, where I could only work 1/2 days during my period time (for the first 2 days). When I got pregnant they found a 12cm cyst near my ovaries which was causing the pain I was getting. If you are having period pain which is beyond normal I really urge you to get a pelvic ultrasound done to check it. Each time I would go to the doctor to complain about the pain, I was told it was just a normal period pain. I was never told to get a scan done. They only found the cyst during my first trimester scan. So, make sure you get it checked.

3)No! You won't be able to...

4) If you happen to fall sick then you need to get better before you can begin working with the children again. Arrangements will be made until you're able to work again.
Regards to pay it depends how much leave you have accumulated.

5) Some childcare centres do have cameras. No not in the bathrooms.

6) You will normally have a cubby to put your bag in or even a locker depending on the centre.

7) You will be asked to leave as it may be contagious to others at the centre.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Giitara
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Giitara » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:01 pm

I've had myself checked & the pain I get while on my period is normal, it's just really painful for the first 2 days that's why I'm kinda scared to work because I know in those 2 days I'm not going to be able to do much work if any at all. I think there's about 10 sick days in a year & if I'm having every 2 days of a month....not sure how that'll sit with the boss.

Oh n thanks for all the replies

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:19 pm

Yes, I understand it's really hard dealing with period pain and working in childcare because you don't get a chance to rest during the day especially if you're in pain. I would probably recommend that you find tablets that help deal with the pain for those 2 days so you don't have to keep taking 2 days off each month. You will also find that once you begin working in a centre, your periods may sync with the other woman working as well. So, at a time there could be 2 or 3 of you with your periods! Great! LOL!

:geek:,
Lorina