looking for a job, any advice?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sonicwaffles

looking for a job, any advice?

Post by sonicwaffles » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here and hoping those older and wiser than I might have some advice I could use.
I've been actively looking for a job for 2 years, and getting nowhere. I have my Cert III, First Aid, Asthma and Anaphylaxis certificate, Working with Children check, etc etc, so none of that's a problem. Before

As far as I can tell, it's coming down to two things:
1) I don't drive, though I'm working on changing that as soon as I can, despite my limited funds and no everyday access to a car.
2) I have limited experience in a centre setting. I was lucky enough this year to get casual work with a few agencies, which is great, and I've enjoyed the experience a lot, but clearly it's not enough for prospective employers, nor am I getting enough shifts for it to be a long-term option. I also have several years experience as a nanny, and references from those jobs who I know can't speak highly enough of me.

So my question is, what else can I do to get a job? I've joined recruitment agencies, taken on casual work, applied for nanny work, and nothing. After two years, it's getting really disheartening, and I'm old enough (25) that starting over in another industry isn't really an option (that and I only have experience in childcare). I want to work so badly, but it's really hard to keep up a positive outlook when every interview is followed by rejection.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I'm desperate, absolutely any help would be appreciated.

Lorina

Re: looking for a job, any advice?

Post by Lorina » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:06 am

Hi Bridgid,

Welcome To Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

I'm surprised to hear that you have been unable to get a job for the past 2 years! Gosh that must be really frustrating! It seems like you are very eager to get started and you have had experience working with children. You're qualified got the necessary documents and ready to go!!

You mentioned you have worked with a few agencies. Since you have had a few shifts with them they should know how you work etc through centre feedback etc. Aren't they able to help you find a full time job. I was under the impression that agencies are able to find casual/full time employment depending on your needs.

To help find a job - Write a cover letter and personally deliver it along with your resume to centres in your area. You can just pop by and give the director a brief introduction of yourself while you hand over your resume. Also in the new year you should be able to find a centre, this is the time centres will begin advertising for positions to begin when centres re-open after Christmas. Have a look at job ads online (career one, seek, gum tree) daily as well as in the paper... Apply for centres either big or small and keep applying until you get a call back...

Being unable to drive isn't an issue (I don't drive either) and as long as you can get to your shifts on time then it shouldn't concern the centre whether you drive or not. Also you're only cert 3 qualified so centres will understand that you may not have had that much experience to begin with...

Just re-reading your post you mentioned that you are able to get interviews but don't receive an offer from it. Go over scenarios on how to manage a child's behaviour, dealing with a difficult parent, handling complaints, EYLF and NQS. Just to refresh your memory when going for interviews if you get ask any specific questions. The following may help as well:

Preparing For An Interview

I really wish you luck and hope you find a centre to work with!

:geek:,
L.A

barbg

Post by barbg » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:15 pm

i'm such a newbie to the whole work scenario but here is my two cents worth. find a center or two or three (if you are not constrained by dependents, hopefully you have more time to spare) where you would like to work and volunteer there. it may be for half a year or longer but positions will come up and even if they don't at the centers you're volunteering, there is a network and they will recommend you as you prove yourself.

i've been very fortunate that the center that i will work for was looking out for work for me through their 'private' network but what's happened is there is a position that's opened and they are employing me. i volunteered with them for six months.

all the best and hope you will have good news soon.

sonicwaffles

Post by sonicwaffles » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:10 pm

Thank you both for the good advice, I'll keep it in mind for future interviews.
Amazingly, I got a call this morning offering me a job! I interviewed several weeks ago and thought I'd done quite poorly, but I must have impressed them after all. It doesn't quite feel real yet but I'm so happy and relieved, and I can't wait to get started!

barbg

Post by barbg » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:02 pm

fab news and congratulations!!!! i'm so happy for you!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:19 am

sonicwaffles wrote:Thank you both for the good advice, I'll keep it in mind for future interviews.
Amazingly, I got a call this morning offering me a job! I interviewed several weeks ago and thought I'd done quite poorly, but I must have impressed them after all. It doesn't quite feel real yet but I'm so happy and relieved, and I can't wait to get started!
Yay! :clap: That's really great! I really hope you enjoy your new centre!! :thumbup:

:geek:,
L.A