Left the ECT industry due to money woes. But stayed out too long?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
teacher2015

Left the ECT industry due to money woes. But stayed out too long?

Post by teacher2015 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi everyone,
I've just discovered this forum and it's an amazing resource. :clap:

I would love any advice on returning to the industry after working in a completely unrelated field (i.e. office jobs). I have two university degrees so can work as an ECT. But I am nervous about explaining why I only completed 3 months (paid) in the industry. Do I tell the truth - that it was a financial decision (I used my other degree to gain better pay) because my partner was unemployed (a long term problem, which still upsets me, plus other more private money-related worries).

Life is more stable financially now so I would like to pursue my passion for early childhood education again. I was looking into completing my Cert III so I could retrain, but I rang up a well-known training organisation and found out they don't offer the certificate anymore and only offer the certificate and diploma combined, which was going to cost $15,000 and be 11 months of training (2 days a week). I was considering this, but it is so much money when I'm still paying off my university debt (in my 30s).

Anyway so I have bought 4 textbooks that are from the Certificate III and Diploma courses and I'm trying to study the new changes myself. I don't mind if I am not the ECT, I would be happy to be the assistant in any of the rooms. Does anyone have any advice for me? I am 100% committed to returning to the industry - I just applied for my working with children check.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any help.

teacher2015

Re: Left the ECT industry due to money woes. But stayed out too long?

Post by teacher2015 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Sorry I stayed out of the industry for 11 years, fully employed all the time.

zaves

Post by zaves » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Most RTO's are now all offering Diploma in ECEC as they can see that legislation will now be leading towards all educators being Diploma qualified (even if you plan on being a room assistant). From what I've heard from my friends, you can still do your Cert III online through other RTO's.
From my understanding prior to the EYLF being implemented, there is now a lot more paperwork as everything has to be documented.
Hope that helps :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:47 am

Hi Mel,

I don't think it's necessary to explain why you only did 3 months and I don't think you'll be asked really. If you are asked you can say something like "due to unforeseen personal circumstances I wasn't able to pursue it by now I'm here ready to go". I don't think it's anyone's business but your own to go into detail about it.

As per the qualification you're right. There is no cert 3 anymore only Diploma since both qualifications are now rolled into 1. Before you start enrolling into courses I suggest you find out if you can use your existing qualification.
You can check it here:

Qualifications Checker

If your qualification is approved then you can use it to work within a centre however if not then you will need to retrain by dong a bridging course or Diploma etc.

Hope this gives you a starting point, so first you need to find out if your qualification is approved and then you can work out where to go from there.

Let me know if I can be of further help,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:49 am

zaves wrote:QR_BBPOST From my understanding prior to the EYLF being implemented, there is now a lot more paperwork as everything has to be documented.

Just wanted to add...

Since the EYLF and NQS has been implemented some centres do more documenting to make sure they are keeping up with all the outcomes within the EYLF and the Quality Areas within the NQS. It really depends on the individual centre and the way they interpret the EYLF. So, the way one centre documents can be completely different to another since there is no "set method". This can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on where you work...

Lorina

teacher2015

Post by teacher2015 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Lorina wrote:Hi Mel,

I don't think it's necessary to explain why you only did 3 months and I don't think you'll be asked really. If you are asked you can say something like "due to unforeseen personal circumstances I wasn't able to pursue it by now I'm here ready to go". I don't think it's anyone's business but your own to go into detail about it.

As per the qualification you're right. There is no cert 3 anymore only Diploma since both qualifications are now rolled into 1. Before you start enrolling into courses I suggest you find out if you can use your existing qualification.
You can check it here:

Qualifications Checker

If your qualification is approved then you can use it to work within a centre however if not then you will need to retrain by dong a bridging course or Diploma etc.

Hope this gives you a starting point, so first you need to find out if your qualification is approved and then you can work out where to go from there.

Let me know if I can be of further help,

Lorina
Thanks, Lorina, for the help. I have checked my qualifications and they are still valid as an Early Childhood Teacher. I am trying to study up on the new changes in the industry (and reading every post in these forums :D ). Do you think that volunteering at a centre would help to boost my confidence?

teacher2015

Post by teacher2015 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:00 pm

zaves wrote:Most RTO's are now all offering Diploma in ECEC as they can see that legislation will now be leading towards all educators being Diploma qualified (even if you plan on being a room assistant). From what I've heard from my friends, you can still do your Cert III online through other RTO's.
From my understanding prior to the EYLF being implemented, there is now a lot more paperwork as everything has to be documented.
Hope that helps :)
Thanks, zaves. The extra paperwork sounds quite daunting...