Leaving a centre and...

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Laiorwyn
Participator
Participator

Leaving a centre and...

Post by Laiorwyn » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:54 pm

Words gotten around in my centre that I'm leaving to start a fdc. One mum said she can't afford where she is now and wants to know when I'm opening. She's still insisting on enrolling her child even though I explained to her that I could get sued if I do.
Is there some sort of waiting period on enrolling children from my old centre? I've had a lot ask.
One wants to enrol her child for 15 days in the new year before she goes to "big school" because I'm good with her child. A lot that are asking are looking at leaving anyway. I've told each one I'll look into it but I don't think they can. I don't want to take any from my centre, it's a good one, for the most part.

Lorina

Re: Leaving a centre and...

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:56 am

Yeah, bit of a tough situation you're in.... It happens, especially if you've developed such great relationships with the children and their families. I don't think you're able to get sued if parents prefer to come to you. As long as parents give the centre enough notice I don't see the problem... The only thing is that your current centre may get a little annoyed if they find out...

Out of respect for your centre, you shouldn't discuss your future FDC plans with the families. If parents are asking you about it, you could say something like that you are interested in starting up your own business and you are still looking into it. When parents ask about details etc. you can say that the process and starting up takes time so you're not too sure when you will open...Leave it at that. You just have to be vague and brief about it. If parents are serious about moving their child to your FDC once you start advertising through the community that you're open (so to speak) they can contact you but there is no need for you to contact them... Like I said brief and vague.

Anyways, don't feel too bad about being popular with the families.. I'm sure you're centre has a waiting list of families wanting a spot!

Good Luck with your FDC,

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:06 am

Me again,

Just wanted to add that there is another forum topic on starting your own FDC. One of our members Anne, recently started their own FDC and shared information on the process and their experiences. You can have a read through the posts to give you an idea on where to begin and if you have any more questions on starting your FDC ask away in the following topic and Ann will help you out!

How To Start Your Own FDC!

:geek:,
L.A

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Yes, I'd be happy to give advice and answer any questions. I've also just posted about dealing with my first problem family in that topic, so you might want to read that post in particular. Parents tend to have a slightly different attitude towards FDC educators then they do centre based educators and you really need to be ready to act as both director and educator in the heat of the moment.

If you don't already drink coffee, I advise adopting the habit. ;)