interview for a casual diploma position

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
michelle123

interview for a casual diploma position

Post by michelle123 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:37 am

Hi,
I have just finished my maternity leave and have an interview for a casual diploma position. I completed my diploma while I was pregnant but have been an assistant for approx 10 years on and off.
What questions should I prepare for?
I am nervous as I have been out of the industry for 13 months.
Any thing would be a great help :thumbup:

Lorina

Re: interview for a casual diploma position

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:04 am

Hi Michelle,

Welcome back to the industry! :wave:

Being a casual is a good way to get your feet wet and get back into the swing of things... In regards to the interview they may probably ask about your past experiences, how to handle situations that may arise in the centre such as a biting child or dealing with a parent complaint, your knowledge of the NQS and the EYLF, how you would follow up on a child"s interest, ways on settling a child etc. These may or may not be asked as it solely depends on who is doing the interview....

Since you are applying just for a casual position it may be a very laid back interview but it"s good to at least have knowledge in the EYLF and NQS just in case these questions may arise...

Good Luck and let me know how it goes,

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:29 am

Most interviews are pretty relaxed & since you are casual you probably won't get drilled too much
Scenario type questions are common but as Lorina said know what the EYLF & NQS are

michelle123

Post by michelle123 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:19 am

Thankyou both for your replies. I very much appreciate it. I thought that it would be more relaxed but have studied up of EYLF and NQS.
My interview is today so I will let you know.
Cheers again. :kiss:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:28 pm

How did you go?

michelle123

Post by michelle123 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:34 am

Hey,
Well it went really good, she asked me is I am familiar with EYLF and NQS which I replied yes as I studied up and it was very casual the only problem was they were wanting me for 5 days a week where as I was looking for casual because of my son and I could only work 2 maybe 3 days a week, so that was disappointing. When I was there she said the job was advertised and I was being interviewed a permanent position which was weird as when I first applied, I applied for casual Diploma work.
So they said they will put me on the casual list and just wait for a call.
A bit deflated but hopeful something will pop up.
Thanks for asking.
Cheers :wave:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:58 am

Perhaps signing with an agency?

barbg

Post by barbg » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:59 am

hi, new to the forum. I've just had a similar situation. after going for an interview for a casual position - which went well andthe manager was very keen to have me on but as full time. I had to say no, and she was not happy and has not come back to me at all. Is this the norm? I am sending my cv to other centers in the meantime.