How to get experience when there is none around

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
burgerbunz
Participator
Participator

How to get experience when there is none around

Post by burgerbunz » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi everyone.
I'm wondering if there are any suggestions on how to get experience when no where will give you any! I'm in my 3rd year (part time) of a teaching degree and have applied for a few entry level positions (I'm mature age- with older children). They are happy with the study I have done, but I have no experience, other than my prac experience to go from. I have had one interview out of about 10 positions i've applied for, and knew from the questions she was asking I wasn't in with a chance! I currently volunteer in our local library reading stories every 2nd week and work (paid employment) in a role which sees me working with children from ages 8+ but not younger children. I've considered volunteering at one of the local schools, but I really want time in a child care centre, not a school (i've got that age covered at work!)- I thought I'd bring it up and see if anyone else had encountered this and how they dealt with it.

Regards

Amanda

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: How to get experience when there is none around

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:36 pm

Hi Amanda,

Why don't you see if getting some volunteer work experience in a Family Day Care setting might work for your requirements.
We are smaller groups but do all the same work as they do in a centre. Just a thought.

Linsaa fdc :wave:

burgerbunz
Participator
Participator

Post by burgerbunz » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:46 pm

Oh that sounds really great- I'd have never thought of that! Would I contact the family day care person or go through the organisation which sets up family day care?

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:53 pm

Nobody ever thinks of poor FDC... :giggle: ...Look up carforkids.com.au and type in your area, if there are any FDC schemes or Educators nearby it will come up. You will need your blue card if you don't already have one and the Educator will have to get the ok and forms filled out [if her scheme needs them, mine does] from the parents, but I don't see that as a problem, there is not many Fdc Educators that wouldn't mind an extra set of hands for a while.
All the best
Linsaa fdc :wave: