How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
babayaga

Re: How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Post by babayaga » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:06 pm

I've been contemplating Chee's original post all day - it has really bothered me. So I just want to say that we should remind ourselves that working in childcare means being involved in the most fundamental stages of a child's development. This is a hugely important job which calls for ABSOLUTE INTEGRITY, EMPATHY and WISDOM. There is no room for bad attitudes in this profession.

Maiv_Nyiaj

Re: How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Post by Maiv_Nyiaj » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:14 pm

i am a trainee studying certifcate 3 in children service and i been in my workplace for about 2 years now and i get only get paid 13.35 per hour is that too low for a trainee or not?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:37 am

I think that is quite reasonable considering you are still studying and doing your traineeship... When you complete your traineeship, Im sure you are able to re-negotiate your pay... Like I said before, I think that is pretty reasonable what you are receiving.

:geek:,
L.A

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:21 am

Reading this thread makes me feel incredibly lucky to work in council run centres and pre-schools. I'm only just starting as a casual worker, but my payrate is $28.50 an hour when in a ELC and $29.25 an hour when working in the pre-school. I knew my council paid above the award rate, but I hadn't realised just how much above.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13 pm

You get more because you're casual. In most Centres casual rates are much higher than award wage

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi Northlight36,You're very lucky to be working in a council run centre.  I think that those who do work in a council run centre overall get better wages, better resources, better environment, everything just seems better! I've tried finding a job in a council run centre but it's extremely hard because staff turn over is low as no one wants to leave! Just stick to where you are! :giggle:

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Thanks Catchmeifucan! I plan to stick with the council centre. I was thrilled to be offered the job since it's my first one since I left TAFE. :)

debzo
Participator
Participator

Post by debzo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:20 am

$21.90 first year dip qualified.

debzo
Participator
Participator

Post by debzo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:25 am

Sorry should have also said that I wouldn't mind so much if there wasn't so much unpaid work expected. Our centre is quite well resourced but the director still sort of expects us to provide some of our own resources, which also annoys me. On the upside we do get paid meetings, paid first aid and a good uniform allowance. We were talking about this in the staffroom yesterday and wondering where all the money in childcare is going. Parents complain they pay too much, we complain we don't get paid enough and the centres complain they aren't making money. It all seems rather crazy.

rocknrolla

Post by rocknrolla » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:44 pm

I have been at the same Centre for almost 7 years and i get $19.84 for cert 3,i'm thinking of asking for a payrise as the room im in i do more paperwork then the other staff i work with but i doubt it will happen. It's time to look for somewhere else anyway!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:19 pm

I think each year you work at a centre, during staff appraisals, you should be given an opportunity to negotiate your wages. Especially if you have worked there for a certain number of years. I just think that all employers should discuss the wage issue openly with staff, however most of the time they won't approach the subject. No wonder so many people end up leaving the industry!

Oh and if you do happen to find a new centre and when you begin to discuss your wage, ask them when you will be given an opportunity to re-negotiate, after 6 months or a year etc. Get this in writing from your employer...

L.A

rocknrolla

Post by rocknrolla » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:09 pm

L.A wrote:I think each year you work at a centre, during staff appraisals, you should be given an opportunity to negotiate your wages. Especially if you have worked there for a certain number of years. I just think that all employers should discuss the wage issue openly with staff, however most of the time they won't approach the subject. No wonder so many people end up leaving the industry!

Oh and if you do happen to find a new centre and when you begin to discuss your wage, ask them when you will be given an opportunity to re-negotiate, after 6 months or a year etc. Get this in writing from your employer...

L.A
Thanks for the advice, we have never actually had staff appraisals, i work for a "chain" (i think you can guess!) but i guess that shouldn't make a difference as to wether or not you have appraisals?? the only thing im scared about a new place is being paid less then what i do, because having just built a house i can't afford anything less :?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:49 pm

No, from my experience you wouldn't be paid less! They will probably ask you what your current wage is and they will either match it or offer you more... If they end up offering you less than you are getting now, you just need to be straight forward and tell them that you are looking for somewhere that is offering a little more than what you're getting. It's always a touchy area discussing wages with future employers but you need to make it clear to them with what you want. If they are happy to employ you then they won't mind paying...

L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:39 pm

rocknrolla wrote:Thanks for the advice, we have never actually had staff appraisals, i work for a "chain" (i think you can guess!) but i guess that shouldn't make a difference as to wether or not you have appraisals?? the only thing im scared about a new place is being paid less then what i do, because having just built a house i can't afford anything less :?
In past centres I rarely had staff appraisals either. Even though during the 3 month probation period I was told that staff appraisals would occur twice a year. It was even in the staff policy and it still didn’t happen. No it shouldn’t make a difference if you have staff appraisals but since it goes over your performance anyway you’re in a better situation to negotiate your wage. That’s probably why centre’s don’t bother with them. LOL.

dentybubba

Post by dentybubba » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi
New member here. So glad I found this site. I have just started my cert 3 after throwing in the towel with an admin job I've worked at pretty much all my working life. Sick of sitting at a computer and talkng to no one. I process invoices. That's all. I get paid $21 an hour being a pencil pusher.

My concern is what I will be paid as a cert 3 worker with hardly any experience. I am 36 and have 2 kids under 4 myself so I do have expereince with kids/babies. I'm concerned a center will present to me a horrid wage of $16 per hour until I get Diploma qualified. What is the going rate for a brand newbie into the industry worth?
Thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:57 pm

It's nice to hear you decided to change your career from a boring desk job... I know I wouldn't be able to cope with a job like that! Like any job I guess you have to take the good with the bad.... Unfortunately with childcare you don't get the best rate of pay, especially when you have to start right from the beginning. I checked out the Modern Award Wage for you and when starting as a cert 3 the minimum you will be offered is $15.86. This means any centre you begin at will either offer you this rate or higher, which really depends on the individual centre itself. it's really hard to actually determine how much you are supposed to get because in the Modern Award it only states the minimum rate you will receive. It's probably going to be hard going from $21 down to maybe $16 but sometimes we have to bite the bullet to do something we really want to do...

L.A

dentybubba

Post by dentybubba » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:31 am

Hi
Thanks for that. That's so depressing. Unfortunately my family rely too much on my income for me to take a drop like that. Maybe I need to re-think things now. I understand what you're saying in regards to biting the bullet but I just don't think I can bite the bullet that much. Maybe if my hubby earned more but that won't be for a couple of years. Thanks for your help.

Ho hum.

sunmonika

Post by sunmonika » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:35 pm

I am so disappointed with my wages.I just finished Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and have 5 years experience a s a group leader with diploma and all I get is $24 per hour...I really think this is joke:( The only reason why I am still in Childcare is that I love this age group:(Is it going to change one day?I feel a little bit discriminated,if I work at school I would get paid much more!

joyrich

Post by joyrich » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:16 pm

I was really really shocked when i left my relief teaching career to do early years children services. I'm completing my diploma this year and if i think of what my wage is gonna be....it makes me wonder
To be honest, i don't feel valued and appreciated as a childcare educator if i compare my dedication and efforts to my wages /hour....

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:05 am

Well, the last three posters/ posts make my heart heavy. It's a sad fact that Early Childhood could attract career- minded professionals but the PAY AND CONDITIONS make it unfeasible. It is a rude shock to discover the drop in pay in the job- many if not most people are unaware of the rate of pay we survive on! It's a political issue really- simply the Early Childhood portfolio is in the Industry sector - it belongs in the Education sector for the government to pay attention. This is the over arching goal of the QIAS and national regulations - higher qualifications= higher quality services= respect by the government and the public for what we actually DO!
Hope the wheel turns sooner rather than later. :roll: