How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Countrychildcare

Re: How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Post by Countrychildcare » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:26 pm

I am part time with a big company. I have had my diploma for 8 years, worked in childcare on and off for 10 years. I earn about $22.50 per hour in Victoria. Room leader job share with another staff member. It really does not seem enough compared to some jobs that require no qualification, but that's the career I am in for now.

JacksonBrowne

Re: How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Post by JacksonBrowne » Sun May 06, 2012 9:59 pm

The Trainee at my centre earned $9 per hour - she was doing the daily diary just about every day! Not the Diploma. Not the Manager. The Diploma couldn't get to it each day because she couldn't leave the Trainee unsupervised because she is untrained. Go figure.

justathought
Participator
Participator

Post by justathought » Sat May 26, 2012 9:01 pm

JacksonBrowne do you mean that the diploma was in the room with the trainee and the daily diary and couldn't get to it? are you serious??

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:04 am

Hi

I am a child care room assistant currently studying my certificate 3 in childrens services, and i only get $15 an hour, but when i finish my cert i will get about $17 an hour. I think this wage is very unfair for the amount of work we all put in! The government needs to start paying us better. we put in some much hard work, time, effort and care into our work and for what?? it seems unreasonable to me that we get paid so poorly for looking after other peoples children so that they can go to work. why does anyone do it? the working conditions are poor to say the best. granted, working in child care does have its moments occasionally, but the bad things can mostly outweigh the occasional good things. my group leader has been working in child care for about 7+ years, and has had her diploma for about 5-6 years of that, and they only pay her for being 3 years qualified, as this is all the government is willing to pay us. why would anyone want to put themselves through this? it just makes me wonder whether i should be looking for a different career path? im recently engaged, trying to save up to buy a house with my partner, as well as trying to pay for a wedding. im just not sure anymore....

Tess3au

Post by Tess3au » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi I have been a Director in a Centre 4 6 years I was head hunted by a Centre in my hometown.I have a Diploma and have worked in children services for numerous years ranging from At Risk children, Preschools Special needs .I am now a group leader in a 3 to 5 yr room.I assist the Director in all aspects of running the Centre and am 2IC when she is away.I get around $22 an hour which is not much less than My asistant who holds a Cert 3 and is 20 years of age.I have been in the industry for over 20 yrs and have a wealth of knowledge and experience and hold a much higher qualificaion.There was no such thing as working on the job and doing a weekend at TAFE every now and then ,4 me it was 2yrs Full Time.I feel the whole system is so wrong.My daughter had a gap year b4 going 2 Uni and worked as a waitress and she earned more than I did an hr and she was 17 years old.We R expected 2 do so much ie paperwork etc programming etc and if we r a group leader we r responsible 4 traing our staff dealing with parents and 4 me im am often running the centre and I get nothing more 4 all this responsibility.The cost of Childcare is always increasing but yet staff wages remain the same.Once u reach the top of the Tier there is no progressing U remain the same.There is no incentive 2 work in this industry anymore.When the bigwigs realise that we just dont babysit children we r actually responsible and start the children on their journey in life nothing will ever change.They need 2 walk a day in our shoes and see what we do and what we have 2 do because the regs say we have 2 then and only then will we b recognised 4 what we truly do and b paid accordingly.

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:26 pm

The rates I have been reading about in this forum are very poor for the amount of hard work we do and the skills and education now required to educate and nurture our children. As a pt assistant in several places I earn $20- 25.00 per hour with no guaranteed schedule , so one week could be financially wonderful the next totally bare. I am aware that my back may suffer down the track and my own nutrition and stress levels are compromised when I am at work but..... I LOVE spending my day with toddlers and preschoolers and that's why I continue to pursue this career path.

Can we also talk about director's salaries here please?

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:47 am

Join the union- they are our only negotiating tool with the government. Have a read -google the 'Big Steps' campaign.

Miss Kerry
Participator
Participator

Post by Miss Kerry » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:07 pm

Hopefully this will give you a better idea of the award rates, on the right hand side are explanations of each level.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:19 pm

Thank you Miss kerry for a very good wage chart - valuable information. Appreciate your effort.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Wages seem really low on that chart, are award wages really THAT low ??? !!!!

Miss Kerry
Participator
Participator

Post by Miss Kerry » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:50 pm

fefe, very sad but true!

Don't forget those employers who pay below award and think no one knows how to find out what the award is and that their staff are loyal so won't challenge them.

Remember as well that you don't have to work for award you can negotiate and get a better deal for yourself!

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:04 pm

This is truly appalling -the more I think about it, the more unfair our wages seems to me. We are helping educate and nurture the next generations (often in difficult and high-pressure environments)-
Are children really not worth it in our society?
Shouldn't our work be valued, highly respected and rewarded? Something has gone wrong here.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:55 pm

hi- just thought i'd chime in again- i have just started working for a not-for-profit centre. they have an 'enterprise agreement'- it includes paid lunch breaks and RDO's. my pay has increased by around $7000 per annum- seems the private sector has alot to answer for! :think:

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:03 pm

HI Dulclean - I'll come work with you - sounds too good to be true! My workplace is full of exhausted stressed out underpaid angry people. I am leaving as soon as better opportunities unfold.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:36 pm

dulciean wrote:Join the union- they are our only negotiating tool with the government. Have a read -google the 'Big Steps' campaign.

I dont understand to negotiate for more wages we need to spend more on joining a union... Anyways I dont want this topic of discussion to be about unions. If you want to share your thoughts and views on unions, please do so here: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/s ... t1393.html

BTW Dulciean... Sounds like your move to a new centre was a great one! Maybe we should all start looking for a non for profit centre! Awesome to hear your happy!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

gillespie8

Post by gillespie8 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:07 am

i am a cert 3 and i only get paid 19.50 an hour and have 4 more assignments till diploma so hopefully its alot more then this but not getting my hopes up coz i know it defs wont be :S

chee

Post by chee » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:13 am

Hi, just wondering about cert 3 how much are we meant to be getting paid?

At the start of the year i was getting paid 14 dollars an hour!.
***************** (edited to remove offensive language)
but then my pay went up because i got government funding it went to 18.50
I think thats the right pay well the least she can pay me.
any-who
Now I'm also studying my diploma. Am I suppose to get more ?
and I work full time around 40 hours but i think she's doing something shifty because after 38
am i suppose to get overtime or anything?
Yes I'm confused and i have none to talk to because my boss is my director & i work with her full time.
( she works on the floor ) & Its just me & her. & 2 casual workers.
p.s she's absolutely mental and i have to do everything to PERFECTION
plus pezent jobs like scrub the floor. I know right?
oh & I'm 19

thanks-

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:27 am

HI Chee,
First of all please use only respectful language on this forum - this is no place for offensive side comments.
Your best defence is sticking to the facts, doing some research and showing your boss on paper the official hourly rates for your work, including your entitlement to breaks. Your employment contract should clearly state your specific duties. As a childcare educator our role is to support the children and staff in a healthy positive environment.This is something your boss and you both should be able to agree on. Regarding cleaning, you can either accept the duties knowing that you are creating a great clean environment for the children or else suggest hiring a cleaner so that you can focus on the educational program. Wishing you success.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Chee - firstly your comment about your boss is totally inappropriate.
You need to sit down with your boss and ask her to explain your wages to you properly.
A lot of places have people working 38 - 40 hrs / week.
I used to work 40 hours but got 1 RDO each month
Also you do not get paid lunch breaks.
If your boss is a perfectionist well so be it, perhaps that is a good thing... though if she is asking you to get down on your knees and scrub floors I would talk about it to her, however if you are merely cleaning an mopping well so do a lot of other people do this job.
I have been in childcare over 10yrs and always have had GL (& higher) roles and still cleaned bathrooms etc
You may find it in your job description ...maybe you should read it

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:23 pm

Chee - I have removed your offensive language please do NOT use profanity in this forum or site again.
It is discriminatory and highly offensive.