Having No Luck With Getting A Traineeship

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Webbie

Having No Luck With Getting A Traineeship

Post by Webbie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Hi there,

I am 33 years old and i am having no luck getting a traineeship i just don't know what i am doing wrong. I keep thinking my age has a lot to do with it as many centres want younger people. I would have loved to have done it years ago but having a child and other things have happened so i wasn't able. Now my daughter is old enough i would love to work in childcare. Over the years I've done a lot of volunteer work with children and i love it.

I have applied for so many traineeships with no luck and i just don't know what else to do. I live on the central coast I'm about an hour drive from Sydney, Ive applied for traineeships that are 1.5 hours drive from me and still no luck. I have a current Working With Children Check and I'm still having no luck. I just keep thinking my age has to be a factor to why I'm not getting anything not even an interview. I don't know what else to do, I don't want to give up as working in childcare is what i want to do. Any advice or help would be great.

Thank you

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: Having no luck

Post by LindyT » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:46 pm

I'm sorry to hear you are not even getting a look in.

Do you put your date of Birth on your resume?
There's no legal requirement for you to do so.
Submit a few without it.

Is your resume professionally done?
I got mine done and have gotten an interview every time and I'm nearly 20 years older than you.

Webbie

Post by Webbie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:03 pm

I wish i was as lucky as you. I would love to get just one interview.

I got my resume professionally done a few months ago.

I have submitted a few without my date of birth as well still no luck.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:45 pm

are you asking for feedback as to why your application is unsuccessful?

Webbie

Post by Webbie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:52 pm

A lot of them say only successful applicants will get an interview, I don't hear back from them at all. There is no way to know why.
I have done a lot of volunteer work with children over the years. That's in my resume as well, it's not like I never worked with children before. I just don't understand.
I'm waiting to hear hear back to another 3 that I applied for this week. Fingers crossed.

Lorina

Re: Having No Luck With Getting A Traineeship

Post by Lorina » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:48 pm

For a traineeship you dont need any experience, since you got experience it should make you more favourable against others with no experience applying for the same position. It weird though... Maybe you should try getting help from a childcare agency... oh and don't forget to add a cover letter with your resume.

Dont give up!

:geek:,
Lorina

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: Having No Luck With Getting A Traineeship

Post by LindyT » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:04 am

Webbie

I'd be happy to share my cover letter with you if you like.

Just send me a private message Hun. x