Had a phone interview and I've been invited to attend a casual induction next week. What will that entail?

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
frostbunny

Had a phone interview and I've been invited to attend a casual induction next week. What will that entail?

Post by frostbunny » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm a New Zealander who has just recently moved (2 months ago) into the Sydney area. I have been on the job hunt and trying loads of different types of jobs. My sister in law suggested that I look into early childhood work as she knows it would be a good fit for me. I hadn't even considered it as I assumed it was similar to New Zealand where they really only hire people with a Bachelor of Teaching degree. I got in contact with a centre regarding their trainee program and she was sorry to tell me that the criteria for their funding means that only NZ citizens who have been here for 6 months or more could be accepted. She did however say that I could enrol in the Cert III myself and then look at casual hours with them. I went away and thought about it for a couple of days and discussed it with my other half. This is a big financial decision to enrol and I was a bit concerned about enrolling and then finding there was no work for me at the other end. I rang back today and she said that I'm in a really good area as there are loads of their childcare centres around and they are in need of casual employees as they are using agencies most days at present. After our chat she directed me through to the casual employment officer who had a chat and she explained that they first did a phone interview and then the next step is a casual induction. She ended up doing the phone interview with me and invited me to attend the casual induction next Friday. According to the info packet she emailed me, it is the final step in the employment process. Does that mean I have a really good chance of getting a casual contract with them? I have some transferable skills from being a support worker for people with intellectual disabilities. That job teaches you patience, listening skills and the fact that the way people communicate can be very varied. I love the idea of working in a job where I'm making a positive impact on others and encouraging someone to thrive and develop.

Sorry for the horrendously long post but just had to get it out there.

In short: Should I take the risk and enroll in the cert? Do I have a good chance of employment seeing as I've been invited to this induction? Does anyone have any useful tips and advice to give me a step up?

Thanks heaps!

Lorina

Re: Had a phone interview and I've been invited to attend a casual induction next week. What will that entail?

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:48 am

Kia Ora!

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! and welcome to Sydney! :wave:

If you are wanting to work in early childhood then you need a minimum cert 3 qualification. So, that's why they are wanting you to get qualified so you can begin working. As long as you are enrolled in the course, have commenced the course and meeting enrolment requirements, this means you are "actively working towards a qualification" and you're able to begin working.

Working Towards An Approved Qualification

Since, you're in Sydney there are so many child care centres available and it's such a vast industry to get work in.

In regards to getting casual employment at this stage, you do have a good chance however I think before you start you'll need to do a "working with children's check" and from my understanding be enrolled in a cert 3 course. They may just want you to complete the "employment process" so they can get you started... Did they mention anything about that (being enrolled in a cert 3 course/working with children's check)?

Working in early childhood is a great industry to be involved in and if being around children is something that you are interested in then I say go ahead and get qualified!

Here is some info that may help as well: Childcare Worker Duties This will give you some ideas of what your responsibilities will be when working in child care.

Hope this helps,

:geek:
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Had a phone interview and I've been invited to attend a casual induction next week. What will that entail?

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:51 am

Also, just wanted to add you mentioned above about the traineeship could only be offered to NZ residents after 6 months or more. If you can hold out for that long, you could do a traineeship instead within the next 6 months.

Sorry didn't want to confuse but that's another option to consider...

:geek:,
Lorina

frostbunny

Post by frostbunny » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:37 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. With regards to the cert and WWC check I've enrolled in the former and applied for the latter so I'm aware of all that and the regulations. As much as I'd like to hold out for six months I really need to start working lol. The job hunt feels like it's been going on for a while now so if this is a way to get my foot in the door of this work AND earn some money I'm keen as.

I'm assuming that the causal induction I've been invited to will have more people than just myself so I'm just worried about being beaten out at the final hurdle, having forked out a good 2k in course fees and be right back at the start job/earning wise. Do you see where I'm coming from with regards to the risk element of this all? Ultimately people, despite enjoying their job, do a job to get paid as unfortunately money is necessary to live (especially in Sydney haha!!)

I was just curious to see if someone out there may have had a similar experience and could give me a little reassurance :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:07 am

I completely understand your situation! The positive about this, it's a casual position and usually there are more than one casual spots up for grabs. Also, if for some reason you don't get it don't worry because since you're in Sydney you will find quite a few centres needing casual or even full time employees. You could also go through childcare job agencies that will offer you causal positions as well. So, doing your cert 3 qualification is a step in the right direction and there are many other opportunities for you to work in a childcare centre...

Lorina

Smiley

Post by Smiley » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:56 pm

Hi
I have just been through this process in Brisbane a few months ago - I already had a Cert III in Education Assistance so they could employ me without me being enrolled in a child care course but the day I got the job I enrolled in child care cert III anyway which I have been very grateful for as it is similar but still has a few big differences.
Since I have been with the agency I have learnt that one of the opposition agencies demands that you sign a 2 year contract to say you will take no other job! So just be really careful when you come to the paperwork read it thoroughly and think twice about what is in it. Thankfully the agency I am with has no nasty clauses so I have been able to take up a second relief job with a nearby childcare. Another option you have which I am going to do once I have completed my study (only 2 assignment and 120hr prac to go) is to go around some of your local childcares and ask if they have relief staff and if you could join their pool.
Hope all goes well for you
Smiley

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:29 am

Hi Smiley,

Thanks for sharing! That's some great advice, especially regarding the "2 year" clause. I didn't even realise that agencies could do that!

Lorina

frostbunny

Post by frostbunny » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:29 pm

Smiley wrote:Hi
I have just been through this process in Brisbane a few months ago - I already had a Cert III in Education Assistance so they could employ me without me being enrolled in a child care course but the day I got the job I enrolled in child care cert III anyway which I have been very grateful for as it is similar but still has a few big differences.
Since I have been with the agency I have learnt that one of the opposition agencies demands that you sign a 2 year contract to say you will take no other job! So just be really careful when you come to the paperwork read it thoroughly and think twice about what is in it. Thankfully the agency I am with has no nasty clauses so I have been able to take up a second relief job with a nearby childcare. Another option you have which I am going to do once I have completed my study (only 2 assignment and 120hr prac to go) is to go around some of your local childcares and ask if they have relief staff and if you could join their pool.
Hope all goes well for you
Smiley
Hi Smiley,

Thanks heaps for the warning but the prospective job is to join the casual pool of a brand of childcare centres instead of an agency. Once I'm qualified with my cert there is the opportunity to join them in a permanent position when one comes up in a centre near me. The employment officer said that everyone starts as casual and it's a good way to see what age group suits you, what centre you like and which staff you work well with. Hopefully they don't lock me into a contract like that but I want a steady job and am not looking to change if I like this outfit and it suits me financially.