Going from Diploma to ECT : Pay rate questions

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Eeca

Going from Diploma to ECT : Pay rate questions

Post by Eeca » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi everyone!

I've been working in a centre for 6 years as a diploma trained staff. During this time I have also been studying at uni to become an ECT. I finish this 4 year course in 3 weeks! Now during this time my pay rate has increased each year. This year I have been classed as the assistant room leader in a 32 place nursery. I get paid approximately $27 for this. As far as my directer has indicated my position will be an ECT position when I am qualified as such. I feel the need to talk to her about this but I would like to be armed with some information before I do so.
My questions are this:

When would I technically be eligible for this? (Would I have to wait til my formal graduation in April or when i get conformation of my results from university?)

When I am an ECT does my diploma experience impact my pay rate or is it simply a first year ECT rate? (I assume it's the latter but confirmation would be great.)

Thank you anyone who had read through this very case specific question and I am especially thankful to any light given to this situation.

-Jess

Lorina

Re: Going from Diploma to ECT : Pay rate questions

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi Jess,

Congratulations on becoming an ECT! How exciting!! How did you manage to finish it within 3 weeks? RPL? Did you have to do prac as well? Sorry for all the questions, it's just I never heard of someone finishing a degree in less than a months time... In regards to being paid as an ECT, you would already be eligible since you are "working towards" your qualification as per ACECQA it states:

Taken to be an early childhood teacher

Additionally, until 1 January 2018, once you have completed 50 per cent of an approved ECT qualification (or if you already hold an approved diploma level qualification), you can be counted as an early childhood teacher under regulation 242. To illustrate the effect of this regulation between 1 January 2014 and 1 January 2018, some examples include:

- a student at Monash University studying a Bachelor of Early Childhood Education would be taken to be an early childhood teacher upon completion of the first two years of this four year (full-time) qualification
- a registered primary teacher in Queensland would be taken to be an early childhood teacher upon commencement of the Diploma in Education and Care (CHC50113) or the Graduate Diploma of Early Childhood Education from Griffith University.

Ref: Approved Qualification

From my experience, if you can get a letter from your uni claiming that you have completed your degree and are waiting for your results then you should be able to use this. If not, once you get your transcripts you can use this until you get your graduating certificate. As long as you can provide proof that you have completed the course.

No, it doesn't matter how many years experience you have, it depends on your degree and what year you're on. As an ECT your pay rate increases each year as you gain experience with your degree qualification. You mentioned you are getting paid $27.00 at the moment. Your salary will come from the Educational Services Teacher Award 2010 and you would be on Level 3 - as a 4 year trained at $41,558/per year. In the Award it also states a full time employee working in early childhood service (LDC) will be paid an additional 4%.

Hope this gives you some information to work with,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Sorry for my delayed results I have had prior family commitments over the past few days.

Lorina

Eeca

Post by Eeca » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:56 am

Thank you Lorina,
Your response was perfectly timed.
I had an inkling that maybe that was the case but thought I would get confirmation.

MarieLics

Post by MarieLics » Mon May 22, 2023 2:42 pm

Hi Lorina

Could you add a link where you found this information about

" Level 3 - as a 4 year trained at $41,558/per year. In the Award it also states a full time employee working in early childhood service (LDC) will be paid an additional 4%"

Thank you!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed May 31, 2023 1:30 pm

MarieLics wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 2:42 pm
Hi Lorina

" Level 3 - as a 4 year trained at $41,558/per year. In the Award it also states a full time employee working in early childhood service (LDC) will be paid an additional 4%"

Thank you!

This information was posted back in 2015 and since then wages have increased and levels have changed.

Here is updated information:

ECT Wages

Lorina

BettyT

Post by BettyT » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:21 pm

Lorina wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 1:30 pm
MarieLics wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 2:42 pm
Hi Lorina

Thank you!

This information was posted back in 2015 and since then wages have increased and levels have changed.

Here is updated information:

ECT Wages

Lorina
Thank you for sharing, a very well-written article!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:00 pm

Great thank you!!

Lorina