Getting Placement and finding work

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kelly30888

Getting Placement and finding work

Post by kelly30888 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:29 pm

Hi guys,

I have just enrolled in an online Certificate 3 in Early Education and Care in Queensland. I need to do 120 hours of placement to complete my studies.

Because I am not studying with a local tafe I need to find my own placement.

I've got a couple of questions;

Is it correct that you can work as an assistant if you are working towards your cert 3?

If this is correct, would the best way to complete my certificate and gain employment to be to try to get a job in a centre now, without experience and complete the 120 hours during work time? Is that a possibility?

If not, how do you find out what the best centres to do unpaid placement would be. Best as in, most desirable to work in as far as pay and conditions.

Even though I have no child care centre experience I have nannied for years, worked in child entertainment and as a child minder in gyms. Is this experience likely to go far in helping me get a job?

I would love to hear from anyone with any experiences getting into the industry. Thanks.

Purplebutterfly2006
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Re: Getting Placement and finding work

Post by Purplebutterfly2006 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:31 am

Hi!

Yes, it's correct that you can study your cert three and be employed as a childcare assistant but you'll be paid as an unqualified assistant.

Hm, that's a bit of a tricky one. Being employed in a centre and completing your cert three would allow more opportunities to complete practical tasks, but reduce the amount of study hours you could do at home since you will be working. It's personal preference really.

To find childcare centres in your area use the Mychild website and use the search for a childcare centre tool. Have a look at Each centre and when you do you'll see a tab on the screen that says 'fees, vaccines, location, quality and additional info.' Click on the quality tab and have a look at what each service is rated under the National Quality Standard (NQS). The higher quality services will have a overall rating of 'exceeding the NQS' and the services that are meeting all the standards will have 'meeting the NQS.' Either of these services will be good. The Google search them and see if they have a website you can look at. Some services might not have a ratting or are waiting to be assessed under the NQS. Any service that is either meeting or exceeding the NQS will hopefully be quite good.

I'm also in Qld, what suburb/ area do you love in? If you live in my area I might beable to suggest some good centres that may be good based on word of mouth.

Yes, well I don't see why the experience wouldn't help you get a job. Experience is a great thing and the experience that you have may help you for sure!

I hope I haven't given you an information overload.. Lol! I too am looking for a job in childcare and it's hard to find a centre that will take you on board as they all don't have the numbers to put new staff on, or you don't have the experience that they are looking for.

Good luck! :)

kelly30888

Post by kelly30888 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:05 pm

Hey Bec,

Thanks for your reply, I will check out that website. I'm in Townsville.

Purplebutterfly2006
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Purplebutterfly2006 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:31 pm

Your very welcome. I'm happy to help. I'm in SE QLd so, I'm sorry I can't name any services for you.

Best of luck :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:32 am

Just wanted to add:
Actively working towards an approved qualification

A person who meets requirements 1 to 4 below may be counted as a certificate III qualified educator. They must also give the approved provider documentary evidence from their course provider that they meet requirements 2 to 4.

The requirements for actively working towards an approved qualification are:

being enrolled in a course for the qualification
having commenced the course
making satisfactory progress towards completion
meeting the requirements to maintain enrolment

- Ref: http://acecqa.gov.au/actively-working-t ... ati7M.dpuf

:geek:,
Lorina

kelly30888

Post by kelly30888 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:01 pm

Thank-you