First day, what to expect? How to impress?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ilovechildren
Participator
Participator

First day, what to expect? How to impress?

Post by ilovechildren » Mon May 23, 2016 2:28 am

Hi everyone, i am starting my first casual job soon and have not studied for years.
Quite stressed as i don't remember much and dont remember any songs or anything basically.
Could someone please tell me what to expect on the first day and what " casual role" consists of during the day.
Also with nappy change this might sound stupid, but do u always ensure child has shoes off? and to wash their hands too? wash babies hands?
thankyou and any advice will help. Any tips on how to impress the centre aswell? i wanna try my best but dont know where to start. please help.

molpost
Participator
Participator

Re: First day, what to expect? How to impress?

Post by molpost » Mon May 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Hi ilovechildren,

I think what is most important is to show initiative! Familiarise yourself with the routine of the room you are in, Ask questions, clean up after morning tea, tidy the room whenever you have a spare moment. And interact with the children as much as possible (if they are quietly playing by themselves or with another friend I wouldn't interrupt).

Google some children's songs and familiarise yourself with them again. I don't think they expect you to sing songs on your first day...?

I personally don't take their shoes off while changing nappies, with children that can walk I always wash their hands afterwards as this is teaching them good hygiene. Ask your roomleader for the nappy change procedure and ask if you can watch a few times. I think if you are justhonest and yourself you will be ok!