First Childcare Job ever. Need Lots of help please!

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ilovechildren
Participator
Participator

First Childcare Job ever. Need Lots of help please!

Post by ilovechildren » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi everyone, i really need some advice any advice if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated :)
So i studied my Certificate 111 3 years ago and somehow i landed a job at a new centre that starts in 2 months which
I am really excited but at the same time
I have No idea how to prepare, what to expect or what to do
I barely remember anything from my studies.
any helpful advice or tips would be great
also what would be my starting wage be? i haven't asked.
Also i have never changed a nappy before i just really don't have any experience
except work placement.
I feel stressed but this is what i want to do,
thankyou for listening out guys.

blissneso
Participator
Participator

Re: First Childcare Job ever. Need Lots of help please!

Post by blissneso » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:25 am

Hello Relley why don't you ask some of your friends if you can change their children's nappies. I am sure they would appreciate the break and be happy to help you gain the experience. Also i found that watching videos online and committing to memory the basic procedure for changing nappies helped when i was learning. Changing nappies gets easier with each time you practise.

Sounds like you got a job lined up which is great.

Congratulations!

ilovechildren
Participator
Participator

Post by ilovechildren » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:04 am

Thankyou Blissneso :) i haven't got any friends with babies! haha but i will look up some videos thankyou lots for the help!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:53 pm

relley23 wrote:Hi everyone, i really need some advice any advice if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated :)
So i studied my Certificate 111 3 years ago and somehow i landed a job at a new centre that starts in 2 months which
I am really excited but at the same time
I have No idea how to prepare, what to expect or what to do
I barely remember anything from my studies.
any helpful advice or tips would be great
also what would be my starting wage be? i haven't asked.
Also i have never changed a nappy before i just really don't have any experience
except work placement.
I feel stressed but this is what i want to do,
thankyou for listening out guys.

Congratulations! Very exciting!! OK, so nothing beats hands on experience so why dont you contact a childcare centre in your area and ask if you could do some volunteer work in the afternoon for a couple of hours each day, for a few weeks until your job starts. Obviously you wont be paid and it's just so you can get use to the environment and update your skills on changing nappies, ask any questions, etc.

Also, you should read through the NQS, EYLF and the Regulations to familiarise yourself with the NQF. You will need to have knowledge of these as this is part of the National Regulations. You use the EYLF as past of your everyday work role so it's best to learn about this before you start:

Understanding EYLF

Here are a few articles that may help as well:

Childcare Duties
Group Time With Children
Building Relationships

Hopefully these will also give you some advice to use when you begin working in a centre...

In regards to your wages you will start on Level 3.1 and your minimum wage is $20.13/per hour - full time.

I hope I have provided you with enough information and let me know if you have any further questions!

:geek:,
Lorina

ilovechildren
Participator
Participator

Post by ilovechildren » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Thankyou soo much Lorina you've been a great help!! Feeling less stressed now :)