Employment issues

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Akg1

Employment issues

Post by Akg1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:32 pm

Last year I completed my Diploma in Children's Services through face to face study at tafe. I am not yet confident to be a room leader as I am only 19 years old about to turn 20. I would really like to be an assistant educator and have applied for every job over the past 6 months in my area. I have had one interview where I wasn't successful. Though I have not had any other interviews. I don't understand what I am doing wrong as to not be employed or to even receive an interview. I am a very hard worker and very passionate about early childhood, though am sadly just about ready to give up on my career dreams. Does any one have any advice for the employment process into an early childhood educator role?

Lorina

Re: Employment issues

Post by Lorina » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:49 am

Are you applying for assistant jobs or for room leader jobs? If you are applying for an assistant position, it could be that you have a higher qualification then necessary. An assistant only requires a cert 3. Since you have a diploma if you were to get an assistant job you would be paid more than a cert 3 for the same position and this is maybe why you're not getting interviews... Don't throw in the towel yet.... Have you tried looking for casual work? Joining with a childcare job agency to help find work for you or sign up for causal work? I know it's not a solution but maybe you could gain some expereince to get your confidence up...What about working in Before and After School care?

:geek:,
Lorina

Akg1

Post by Akg1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:53 am

I'm applying for the assistant educator positions. I have regrets doing my diploma as I do not feel confident enough to be room leader I am very shy. I'm employed at 2 childcare centres as a casual but they haven't needed me very often. I also work for OOSH as a casual, I have had regular work there and really enjoyed it. Just hoping someone will offer me full time soon as casual work is just not reasonable to be able to live off the money.

leenie
Participator
Participator

Post by leenie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:40 pm

As you are 19 don't feel you have wasted time doing your diploma.

Have you considered looking beyond your immediate area, that can limit you.
Contact an employment agency Hays is very good.
Expect a star is a good childcare agency.

OOSH is a difficult industry for good part-time hours let alone full-time. You could look around at oosh organisations eg camp australia.
You could contact services even if not advertising.

Keep persevering. I noted Lorna mentioned being paid at dip rate, would you be willing to work at an assistant rate for a year or two to get experience, think of it as "your on hands training".

leenie

Akg1

Post by Akg1 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:38 pm

Thankyou for the advice I will definitely try those childcare agencies :)
I've taken resumes around to most of the childcare services in my area and that had led to some of my casual work which is great.
I would definitely be willing to get paid at a lower rate than what I am qualified for. Is that something I should mention to people whilst I am applying for jobs or in an interview?
Thank you for the supportive responses :)

leenie
Participator
Participator

Post by leenie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi Akg1

No worries,

Tell me about the interview you had, mentioned above? Was this for an assistant, what age group? How do you think you went in the interview? Did you struggle over questions. Were they looking for someone with years experience?

I 'll get back to you over the weekend as I have to get organised for work.

Cheers leenie
I'll leave you with this in thinking about the interview process- You have to be in a mental space of " they want you and you have what they want" then you have to sell it.

Akg1

Post by Akg1 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:44 pm

The interview I had was at the start of the year so I only vaguely remember it. It for a part time educator that would assist in all the rooms. I had to know all routines in every room. As well as the interview I did a few hours trial in an actual room in the centre which I felt I went well with. But the interview probably is what let me down I get to worried about not saying the right things. I also had no paid experience at this time. I can't really remember the questions but they were likely to be the standard questions asked.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:55 am

Akg1 wrote:QR_BBPOST I would definitely be willing to get paid at a lower rate than what I am qualified for.
No, I don't agree! You should be paid what you are due! If your employer starts paying you less, then it's only a matter of time before they cut pay on something else... You don't even want to go there! There is a specific minimum wage for a Diploma assistant which is higher than the cert 3... Anyway even if you do have a Diploma if the centre likes you and wants you to work for them, they will pay you what you are entitled to! Never accept anything less!

Lorina

leenie
Participator
Participator

Post by leenie » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:45 pm

Hi Lorna,
It is an interesting debate! As neither is wrong or right.

For your own "agenda" choosing to get paid less for a period of time could work for you when your purpose in choosing / taking that job is not about the money. At 19 experience is the key thing.
(When someone is desperate for work people will take anything- not necessarily referring to Akg1 but generally. Sometimes you do have to take something below your qualification to get back into the work force, up-skill your experience etc to get that high paying job you want)

My intent in the suggestion wasn't about the money it was experience and also supporting Akg1 in not giving up and meeting her personal needs where she has already stated that she didn't feel ready for a lead educator position and was frustrated not getting permanent work.
You are better off taking less pay and get a great reference as a general educator than take on a responsible position that you're not ready for and get a bad reference or destroy your health through anxiety and stress or allowing situations to erode your self esteem that you quit.
Also it wasn't intended for the long term but a short goal of 6-18mnths to get the desired experience to than go on and get a lead educator role if so desired.

Hope that clarifies my reason for suggesting it.

Food for thought: How many uni nurses go into the real world and than leave within 2 years because they can't handle it or didn't meet their expectations. How many doctors are academic but practically they are terrible doctors.(I have a background in the health industry as well) Also to get yourself to a place of fairly decent money you have to be prepared to stick it out as a nurse and doctor.
Taking on and pursing a career has many other facets than money.

It can actually take someone of strong character and determination to take either a lessor job role or pay cut as a means to an end.

Cheers leenie
Let's face it, the age battle is for us who have been in the industry and have a wealth of experience we don't get paid what we are worth anyway!!!

leenie
Participator
Participator

Post by leenie » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi Akg1,

The reason I didn't want to answer your question quickly the other day is I new it would require a more in-depth response.
So in-regards to you bringing it up at an interview? Let me start with this.

According to the award, services will pay you at a Diploma rate-I imagine this will be the case in good centres. I know people with diplomas in a large centre who are educator-diploma trained ie not room leaders.
Under work relations and the award they do have a duty to pay you at a diploma level-keep this in mind.

So if you are in a situation perhaps in a small service but they are offering full time general educator (assistant ) work and say to you that they can only pay you at a cert 3 level, than it is your choice to way up what is your main goal in the short term. They may get you to sign something that you are agreeing to this.
But the direct answer to the question of you bring it up is NO. This really is plan B for you. The purpose is to get the experience, and you need to feel comfortable in this situation that you can also leave when you want.
The other consideration if they are paying you at cert3 level make sure you get a good feel of the centre ask to do a trail one or two days. Make sure the service is not doggy. The other suggestion is talk it over with trusted adults that know you really well before accepting.

I encourage you to go in with the confidence of your diploma qualification and believe that you will be paid accordingly. You are in a situation facing many young people- experience. It is a shame that childcare isn't further along in employing young trained people to begin their career.

Thanks for sharing about your interview, going back to your comment that you were worrying about the questions I would get hold of questions they are likely to ask you and write answers down then practice out loud. (There is another thread by Teila asking about job interview questions for childcare)

Some food for thought for you: Everyone has their own mental process going on which usually comes out in speech, body language and other physical responses or actions this mental process is our battleground where conquering the fear, worry and lack of confidence has to come.
Our culture tends to prepare us for a skill but not about aspects of who we are. No tafe or uni course has a subject or unit on that!

Part of growing through your 20’s is about knowing and discovering yourself and how to survive the real world of ‘people’. I would encourage you in through your pursuit of your career also pursue discovering and growing you- you have already been honest about the weaknesses you see in your self but they can also be overcome.
I understand the shy worry lack of confidence side of a person it usually means you have to work a little bit harder on yourself than the 'out there' bold strong person.

Get some good motivational books, read up on people who overcame their hurdles(can find on the internet- there is one called '50 famous people that failed at first'. The concept behind it is to inspire you when the going is tough, not that you are a failure.), have you own dream/motivational folder which encourages and inspires you and helps you to believe in yourself and build confidence and self-esteem. Find positive quotes, sayings, articles, art and colour can have a positive affect on the way your think so make it your own personal place where you come away feeling on top of the world. Put up positive sayings in your room so you can see and read them everyday.

As a childcare worker they now encourage personal reflection journals. You could start one if you haven’t, where you reflect each day on your work, situations etc put your thoughts ideas down. Some validators are asking to read educators journals so think about what you write-if necessary have 2. One that is less emotional and probably more professional in content and a separate one to make it your own personal reflection-you may have to repeat stuff which you could make part of your dream/motivational folder as we are all learners and will make many mistakes on own journey in life. But reflection in itself is about being honest, challenging, learning and making changes.

Also keep up with professional learning. Your diploma course is just the beginning. Read, collect articles, research and go to professional training if possible. In your journey find a some good role models that you can learn and be inspired.

Also add-The most important thing is getting the experience. Experience becomes everything and the qualification is the legal requirement or the glossy cover of a book! So right now your casual work is building experience, there is a saying " don't despise the days of small beginnings"
I had a career in the health industry before childcare and just because you have a qualification doesn’t make you a great doctor or person for example. The qualification gives you permission into that industry. How you use the knowledge that you have obtained and put it into practice and how you skill-fully use it makes the difference. These days it seems interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, team work and work, health and safety can mean more that a piece of paper! My sister has a friend who works in a great company, she is a computer expert but she can’t get a promotion because she has been told she has no people skills!

I hope the answer to your question is there and encourage you to keep going and not give up. There will be the right job for you. Let me know how you're going.

Cheers Leenie

Go to Network of Community Activities and they have development factsheets-these are under oosh but I'm sure some of it can apply to LDC. Also if looking for oosh stuff google My Time Our Place.

Akg1

Post by Akg1 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:49 pm

Thankyou both Lorina and Leenie :)
My confidence has definitely been boosted and I feel that maybe I should try and take on a position higher than what I feel I am capable. My teacher always said to me she felt I had the skills to easily run a room in a centre it's just my quiet personality I struggle with (I don't like stepping on other peoples toes).
The motivational stuff is also great advice :) I look up to my mum very much as she has always worked challenging jobs, she has done counselling, she just finished teaching at special education school and is now beginning a new career at docs, she has also worked in a role where she had to support children as witnesses in court, if she can do all that I'm sure I have some of her courage to run a room in a childcare centre :)
Thankyou again it is really nice to hear from people who genuinely care and have wonderful advice :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:39 am

It's always a little nerving to take on a new job role, especially when we haven't got any experience from it yet. You've done your qualification so you got the knowledge, now you just need to put all that knowledge into action. You're not alone! The educators and the director at the centre will be there to guide you. You will learn as you go and after a few weeks you'll find your feet. If you have any doubts, always ask and if you don't know don't worry,you'll learn. You got to start somewhere.

Leenie suggested another topic on interview questions. Here it is:

Job Interview

This will give you an idea on what type of questions may be asked. You can also check out the article I added in the above topic as it will also help with types of questions they may ask for a Diploma position.

I'm sure you'll be fine!

Lorina