ECT working as room leader?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Nebulus

ECT working as room leader?

Post by Nebulus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm currently hold a Diploma and working at a great centre which I very much enjoy.
I have always planned to go on to do the Bachelor but am currently having second thoughts as I enjoy the child care setting and don't want to put a ticking clock on my time left at my centre.
So my question is can an ECT work as a room leader or assistant educator? or would having the bachelor qualification increase my pay and make those options unfavourable due to the cost aspects for centres.
Another thing I have been wondering is what positions would centres employ an ECT/bachelor trained outside of being the preschool teacher?
I ask this as I enjoy all age groups however I don't want to restrict my choices to a kinder room or primary school setting as i very much enjoy all my time spent in the toddler room or the nursery.
(I am located in Victoria)

Lorina

Re: ECT working as room leader?

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:37 pm

I have found that centres have employed ECT's to work primarily as the preschool room leader/ or as an ECT in the preschool room...

In regards to wages, it will increase if you gain a position as an ECT of the service and if you are a director/ECT of the service as well. If you are working as a room leader and not-ECT I don't think your pay will increase much more than what you are receiving as a Diploma qualified educator (however, I will have to confirm this).

In regards to working with other age groups such as babies and toddlers, I'm not too sure that many centres will employ an ECT for this position because you may seem over qualified and it's cheaper to hire a Cert 3 or Diploma qualified educator for these rooms. It all really depends on the centre really. If you want to work primarily with preschool children or in a primary school setting I would suggest to continue on to the degree...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Since you are with a really good centre, maybe you should talk to the Director about your study plans and their advice/input...

Lorina

Nebulus

Post by Nebulus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:07 pm

I have found that centres have employed ECT's to work primarily as the preschool room leader/ or as an ECT in the preschool room...
That's what I have found to be the case also. Although there have been the odd centres who do have bachelor trained educators in rooms other than preschool but that is uncommon unfortunately.
If you are working as a room leader and not-ECT I don't think your pay will increase much more than what you are receiving as a Diploma qualified educator (however, I will have to confirm this).
This is what I am also unsure of as I don't know if wages are dependent on the position or your qualification.
Since you are with a really good centre, maybe you should talk to the Director about your study plans and their advice/input...
I think that is my best option.

Thank you so much! :D

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:12 pm

In regards to the wages, I will contact Fair Work and just confirm what happens for an ECT qualified educator who works as a room leader/assistant rather than an ECT within the service. As far as I am aware, it depends on your position rather than qualification however since an ECT degree has been completed wages may be a little higher... I will let you know once I hear back from them just so we can get an idea...

Hope you don't mind!

Lorina

Nebulus

Post by Nebulus » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:05 pm

I don't mind at all :) I think it will be something useful for others to know as well.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Yeah I think so as well!

I'll once I hear back from them...

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:23 pm

A quick update, I just got a reply from Fair Work regarding an ECT qualified educator working as a room leader not an ECT of the service and this is what they said:
Hi Lorina,

The employee is to receive payment at the classification they were employed for. If the job vacancy was for a room leader, then regardless of the qualifications obtained, the employee is to be paid as a room leader. If the employer wants to pay over the minimum award rate as a recognition of prior experience or qualifications, there would be no issues with us.

So, you will be paid as a room leader (Level 4) and above award pay is at the discretion of the individual centre...

Hope this helps!

Lorina