ECT award wage

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Jess.M

ECT award wage

Post by Jess.M » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:19 pm

Hi,

My name is Jessica and I am in my final year of uni studying a Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood & Primary).
I have completed the EC part of my degree and have a final year left of primary subjects.

Are you able to tell me if I am recognised as an ECT. If so/not, do you know what award wage I should be granted? My workplace is stating that I am not qualified to be getting paid as a Cert III or Diploma and is offering me $18 p/h on a part-time rate. I wanted to know if this is correct or what classification level I would be on.

Thankyou for your time.

Kind regards,
Jessica

Lorina

Re: ECT award wage

Post by Lorina » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:37 am

Hi Jessica,

You should be counted as an ECT once you have completed 50% of your qualification. Since you are on your last year, you're more than 50% through. So according to ACECQA you are now counted as an ECT. :thumbup:

Once you have completed 50 per cent of the ECT qualification (or if you already hold an approved diploma-level qualification), you can be counted as an ECT (from 1 January 2014 to 31 December 2015 only).* To illustrate the effect of this provision between 1 January 2014 and 31 December 2015, some examples include:

a student at Monash University studying a Bachelor of Early Childhood Education would be taken to be an ECT upon completion of the first two years of this four year (full-time) qualification
a registered primary teacher in Queensland would be taken to be an ECT upon commencement of the Diploma in Education and Care (CHC50113) or the Graduate Diploma of Early Childhood Education from Griffith University.

*This does not apply if you are working in centre-based services in NSW, which are educating and caring for 30 or more children preschool age or under. Relates to persons who are, or who are taken to be, early childhood teachers under the National Regulations.

- Ref: http://www.acecqa.gov.au/new-prescribed ... UQ0H1.dpuf

In regards to your wages, what position do you currently have at your job? Are you a room leader, or are you the ECT? Just so I can get a better understanding on what level you may fall under.

In the meantime you can read the following information:

Levels For Childcare Wages
Childcare Wages

Let me know,

:geek:,
Lorina

Jess.M

Post by Jess.M » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:47 pm

Thankyou so much you have already helped me greatly :D
I am not the room leader, I am the ECT.

Kind Regards,
Jessica

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:30 am

No worries Jessica...

I also found the following award rates for ECT's which you can refer to since you should now be paid as an ECT:

[attachment=0]educational-services-teachers-award-2010-[MA000077]-pay-guide (2).rtf[/attachment]
Hopefully you will be able to sort this issue out,

Lorina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jess.M

Post by Jess.M » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi Lorina,

I am actually based in NSW, therefore these rates will not apply until I finish my degree, is this correct?
Thankyou for all your help though, you've been great.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:55 am

Jessica.M wrote:Hi Lorina,

I am actually based in NSW, therefore these rates will not apply until I finish my degree, is this correct?
Thankyou for all your help though, you've been great.

I'm not too sure... If you are "actively working towards a qualification" then I presume you should be paid the same as it states. It's best to contact ACECQA to confirm...

Lorina

Jess.M

Post by Jess.M » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:26 pm

Thankyou for all your help