Dreadlocks and Childcare

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Gracie.12

Dreadlocks and Childcare

Post by Gracie.12 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:50 am

Do you think having dreadlocks (neatly pulled back and clean!) would effect someone's chances of being able to gain employment in a childcare centre/preschool/kindergarten/school?

Lorina

Re: Dreadlocks and Childcare

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:13 pm

No I don't think so!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:23 pm

We shouldn't be made to change ourselves just to fit into the centre... Just because we may look a certain way we shouldn't be made to cover up who we are. For example with tattoos - I know of a couple of centres who have asked their educators to cover up their tattoos in front of the children? I mean why? The tattoos weren't rude or tasteless and what difference does it make for us as educators if you have a tattoo. Tattoo or no tattoo you are who you are! Same with piercings! OK, so I understand that there is a thin grey line with them for being a safety issue around kids but as long as the piercings are small then they shouldn't be removed! I have a nose ring and never been asked to take it out. I recently got a second nose piecing done and I would be very upset if I was asked to remove it. This is me, this is who I am! The same with dreadlocks! It's just a part of you! We shouldn't have to fit into society norms as it apparently tarnishes the centre reputation!

Sorry that's my rant for today! :giggle: :giggle:

Lorina

Gracie.12

Post by Gracie.12 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks for the advice,!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:59 pm

You're welcome!