Diploma VS Degree??

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
racheli

Diploma VS Degree??

Post by racheli » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:25 pm

Hello lovely people.....

I'm having a hard time deciding where to go next.

I already have a Diploma of Children's Services BUT I've been out of work force for years having a family. I'm completely out of the loop and have no connection within the child care industry anymore. I've contacted a few colleges about ups killing and redoing some of the new Diploma so I can gain more of an understanding with all the new changes as I'm keen to get back into the work force soon.
I'm also debating going to uni which will be much harder on myself and family and wondering would having a degree really benefit me? I've read its not really going to help make more money etc.

Let me know your thoughts????

Lorina

Re: Diploma VS Degree??

Post by Lorina » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:04 am

First off, have you checked whether or not your current Diploma qualification is approved? Even if you have done it years ago, if it's on the approved list it means that you can begin working in a centre as a diploma qualified. You can check here: Approved Diploma

Now, whether or not to study the degree. I think it depends on what role/position you want to go for in a centre. As a diploma you get a room leader position in the nursery and toddler room. With a degree you can be in a preschool educator and a director. A diploma can still work as a preschool room leader but nowadays it's a degree holder who is more preferred since the new educator: qualifications have come out which as a diploma working in the preschool room will job share with the degree qualified educator. If you don't think you want to pursue a director or preschool teacher position in the future then stick to your diploma however if you want to pursue these positions then go for a degree...

Choices, choices,

:geek:,
L.A

racheli

Post by racheli » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:27 pm

I know for a fact I could get a job with my diploma and its still current BUT I have no idea with new change... Eylf etc etc.
Hard one!!!

racheli

Post by racheli » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:33 pm

I thought you could direct a centre with just a diploma?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:42 am

racheli wrote:I thought you could direct a centre with just a diploma?
Yes you can. However, since the new changes for a mandatory ECT to be employed by all centres you will find that the directors position is usually filled by an ECT trained educator so they can also be used within the preschool room when needed. Through my recent experience I have only known directors within a centre to hold an ECT degree rather than a diploma...

L.A

racheli

Post by racheli » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:31 am

What about OSHC? Could you run/coordinate this service with Diploma of School Aged Education and Care or would you need a degree?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:08 am

racheli wrote:What about OSHC? Could you run/coordinate this service with Diploma of School Aged Education and Care or would you need a degree?
Yes definitely! or even the following:

Diploma in Children Services or Outside School Hours Care...

L.A