Cold calling for work

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kelly30888

Cold calling for work

Post by kelly30888 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi guys,

I am studying Cert 3 in Education and care. My first preference is to get work in a centre as an assistant. To do this I am thinking about ringing centres and speaking to the director about my skills and asking if there are any openings.

Does anyone have and suggestions on how I can do this successfully? Even if there is nothing now, what could I do besides sending my cover letter and resume so remember me and call me if they do have a position come up?

Anyone else had success doing this? I was thinking about walking in but I didn't want to interrupt. I know people are busy at work.

The second option is to ring up and ask for placement.

zaves

Re: Cold calling for work

Post by zaves » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:03 pm

You can always register with an agency as a casual to at least get your foot in the door. Good luck!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:05 am

When calling and speaking to the director get their centre email address and send a follow up email in regards to the conversation you had. You can make the email subject something catchy like: RE: CERT 3 Qualified - Available To Work ASAP. In the email thank the director for taking the time to talk to you and that you are very interested in working for their centre and provide your contact details again and mention if there is anything available that you'll be interested in the position.

While sending a cover letter and our resume you could also send a passport size photo. I know it's not necessary to include but I think it's a handy trick to use to make a good first impression. You can also include a "business like card" which has the date your qualification and your contact details. If I was a director and got this I can pin it to my notice board for the future reference.

Just sharing some ideas,

:geek:,
Lorina

kelly30888

Post by kelly30888 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:12 pm

They are great tips.

Thanks Lorina and Zaves.