Choosing the right course

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Barbs

Choosing the right course

Post by Barbs » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for a career change and am interested in working in the areas of after school care, holiday care / recreation etc. Basically I'd love to work with school age children 5-12 years in recreation programs etc - think YMCA or OOSH. Later down the line I may wish to continue my studies with a Youth work qualification but not at the moment.

I'm having trouble finding a course that will qualify me to work with school aged children in this area. There used to be a tafe course called Cert III in Children's Services but it has since been replaced with Cert III in Early Childhood Education and Care. The trouble is, this is for early education, ie children under 6 years of age which would not qualify me to work with older kids. I'm finding it very difficult to find a relevant course. As I'm new to the industry, I have no previous work experience or people I can ask for advice so I would love some help!

Thanks in advance!

Lorina

Re: Choosing the right course

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi Barbs,

I think the course you are specifically after is Certificate IV in Children's Services (Outside School Hours Care) - CHC41212.

On completing this qualification jobs include assistant OSHC coordinator, mobile assistant, OSHC assistant, OSHC supervisor/coordinator, play leader, program leader, recreation assistant, recreation leader, team leader or vacation care supervisor.

Here is some more info:

http://www.ectarc.com.au/certificate-iv ... e-chc41212
https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servle ... seNo=11442

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Barbs

Post by Barbs » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks so much L.A - I really appreciate the info! :)

LeaCherry99

Post by LeaCherry99 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi Barbs,

1 years ago I want to change of career and I did a course with SNA. They have help me to find the right course in function of my goals and now I have new life, new work because the course gave me the skills to do that.

Lea