Childcare Traineeship Trial

Questions on starting a Cert 3 or Diploma traineeship, duties during a traineeship, traineeship working conditions etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
PaigeMarie2494

Childcare Traineeship Trial

Post by PaigeMarie2494 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:35 am

Hello everyone :)
My name is Paige and I am almost 20. I have a trial at a wonderful childcare centre in a few days and this is my dream job! I am so nervous and just want to do well and get the job so I can work with children and go to work every day knowing it is a job I love. Does anyone have any advice or tips? Thank you kindly :)

megs_95
Helper
Helper

Re: Childcare Traineeship Trial

Post by megs_95 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:20 pm

Interact with the children! Talk to them, play with them, get involved. I know that's what my director (who hired me for a traineeship through a trial like this 2 years ago) likes to see. Show interest in what's going on, and ask the staff what you can do to help. Remember that the director will probably ask the staff in the rooms how you were, but don't stress about this - they're not expecting you to know what to do, just go in, help out and interact! :)

Lorina

Re: Childcare Traineeship Trial

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:18 am

Great Advice Megs!

The trail is to basically see how well you fit in with the rest of the centre staff, the children and how you are with others... Adding to what Megs said it's important you show initiative, if you see that the floor needs brooming or the tables need to be wipe down after lunch don't wait to be asked offer to do them (cleaning is part of the job). Observe what the staff in the room are doing and follow through without having to be told. For example: when going outside and an educator is putting sunscreen on the children or at meal times if a staff in handing out cups of water or after sleep when beds need to be packed away... etc. Basically helping out where you can. Engaging with the children is very important. Show an interest in what they're doing, talk to them, sing songs with them (anything will do) and most importantly HAVE FUN!

Don't forget to take a hat with you that you can wear outside with the kids as well (preferentially a bucket hat)...

Good Luck!

:geek:,
Lorina