Changing from Primary to Early Childhood

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
nicoleharink

Changing from Primary to Early Childhood

Post by nicoleharink » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:34 pm

I'm currently a Prep teacher in Victoria and have a Master of Teaching (Primary & Secondary) degree. I'd like to move into Early Childhood, what other degree would I need to become an Early Childhood Teacher?
Thanks.

Lorina

Re: Changing from Primary to Early Childhood

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:36 am

In QLD they are offering a Bridging Course for all primary teachers who want to work in early childhood but I can't seem to find any information in regards to any type of bridging course for Victoria. I only found this:

Bachelor Of Education

I think you should contact uni's and find out more information,

Sorry I couldn't be of much help!

:geek:,
Lorina

angela53

Post by angela53 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:33 pm

Hello Nicole ,
I am also an Australian registered primary teacher and I am currently undertaking study to qualify for work as a teacher in an early childhood setting.

The information you need is located at http://www.acecqa.gov.au/Early-childhoo ... ifications
In addition to information on their website I also phoned ACECEQA ( 1300 422 327 ) to clarify what I needed to do and found them really helpful.

The changes are national (and the transition is being reviewed in 2016 ) so it is worth reading website and /or phoning to check.
Your situation is similar to mine -except I'm not in Victoria -but as it is a national qualification the same aspects would apply.

Essentially: if you hold a primary teaching qualification that includes a focus on 5-8year olds (that's you as you teach 5 year old prep students ) and are registered as a teacher in Australia -you will need an approved education and care diploma or higher as per ACECQA's qualification list to register in Australia as an early childhood teacher.

I am currently working and completing that diploma so I can register as early childhood teacher hopefully by the end of this year.
(in 2015 the Diploma of Education and Care is free under the Australian Govt. "skills for all " funding.
A lot of units in this diploma have been granted as RPL because of my teaching qualification -this has considerably cut down the time period to complete this diploma for me.

Hope that the above is helpful to you!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:39 am

Hi Angela,

Thank you so much for adding all that info! It is really helpful! :thumbup:

:geek:,
Lorina