Can ECTs work for diploma pay?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
teacher2015

Can ECTs work for diploma pay?

Post by teacher2015 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:00 am

Hi everyone,

My apologies if this question has been asked before or is obvious, but I can't seem to find the answer. I have a Bachelor equivalent (Graduate Diploma) and it was suggested that I would be great for a non-room leader position working with toddlers. I am keen to take it, but it is possible to be paid at a lower rate?

Also, just wanted to take this opportunity to say that I think it's great that ECTs are being invited into all age groups not just kinder and pre-kinder.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Lorina

Re: Can ECTs work for diploma pay?

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:25 pm

I think in this circumstance that you may be paid as an Assistant Diploma since you are not actually working as an ECT or the Room Leader...You are usually paid based on your job position and since you are an assistant in the toddler room, I'm assuming you would be paid the Assistant Diploma wage which is Level 3.4 at a minimum of $22.66 per hour....Although I'm not too sure...

What are they offering?

:geek:,
Lorina

teacher2015

Post by teacher2015 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks, Lorina, for your reply. They haven't made a formal offer yet but $22 was mentioned. Hopefully an offer will come soon.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:34 pm

Lorina I disagree, I have never worked anywhere that paid on job position solely

You need to be paid according to the qualification you hold regardless of your position. Eg if someone has a diploma and is an assistant they HAVE to be paid diploma completed qualification rates according to the award UNLESS you have agreed with the employer to be paid the lower pay.

I have had many assistants work in my centres who were diploma qualified and were paid as such even though they were not in a group leader position and have had people who had not completed their diplomas and were paid on a cert III level until they did even though they were group leaders

I was a Director being paid as a diploma (+3 yrs level exp) even though I was studying my degree. On completion i was moved to a Director (with degree) rate of pay.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:14 am

Hi Fefe,

In the Children Services Award there is a Diploma Assistant rate for educators with a Diploma qualification working as an assistant which is Level 3.4. A room leader Diploma educator starts at Level 4.1.

For room leaders holding a cert 3 qualification rather than a Diploma qualification I think would typically fall in Level 4 A.1 which is an educator who has not obtained a qualification required for Level 4 but performs the same duties as a Level 4 employee (room leader). This is because even though they may be only cert 3 qualified they are not performing the same duties as a cert 3 educator if they are a room leader, they are performing the role of a Diploma so the pay may be a little more.

As a Director with a Diploma qualification you would be paid more than a room leader Diploma because of your job role and responsibilities. Hence, you would have probably been a Level 6/ 6A until you completed your qualification then your wages would have increased.

As I said I'm not too sure about it...

:geek:,
Lorina