Becoming an ECT

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
aleks

Becoming an ECT

Post by aleks » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Hello
I want to have a career change
I was wondering if you can help me work out the best way of becoming a qualified ECT or a Childcare Educator for my situation.
I have a bachelor degree (B. Arts) as well as a grad diploma and have work as an English (ESOL)teacher at TAFE for the last 10 years.
I would like to change my career and ultimately work in a preschool setting as an ECT.

So far I have been exploring the option of doing a Master of Teaching (birth to 5) at Maquarie Uni next year since it's the next step up in terms of progression
from my grad diploma.

I am a bit nervous of the workload and difficulty of the course as I have 2 small children and will have to work at TAFE for at least a day due to finacial reasons. It's a 2 year full time course and I plan to enrol as a full time student.

I have a Cert III in children's services from 15 years ago and have only worked in a centre at that time for a few months (as a Room Leader). I'm unsure if I can work in child care with that qualification as it's so old, so while studying the Masters I don't think I can tap into the industry until prac time. I would like to find some work before then.

So in light of this, I am considering a diploma traineeship/enrolling in Diploma or enrolling in a bachelor degree of Ealy Childhood and see if I can find some work after a semester.

My questions are
1) Should I consider these options at all?
2)Will they offer me an "easier" transition and get me working in the indusrty earlier than the Masters degree? I know the wage difference has a lot to do with my desicion making but i also feel like if I commit to a Masters and find it too overwhelming I may never finish it.
3) How important or valuable is it to work in the industry as you study?
4) Has anyone done the Master of Teaching (birth to 5) at Maquarie Uni and is is willing to share their experience?

Thank you in advance

Lorina

Re: Becoming an ECT

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:53 am

First off you mentioned that you completed a Cert 3 qualification. Even though you completed it awhile ago you can check the following Qualifications List from ACECQA to see if your qualification is approved:

Qualifications List

If you do not find your qualification on the list above, if you are wanting to gain a Diploma another option is to gain RPL for the units within the Diploma if you have previous experience, skills and knowledge for each of the units. Since you have completed your Cert 3 previously you may be able to use this as evidence for part of the Diploma course units. Here is some more info:

Gaining RPL in a Childcare Qualification

Since you are already committed in studying, in my opinion I think you should do the Masters Of Teaching, If you were to do a Diploma that is 2 years or a degree another 2 years, you would of completed your Masters by then which is a much higher qualification. To work as an ECT, you need to have a degree so I just think a Masters would give you a step up in this industry.

In regards to working, even while studying you are considered "actively working towards a qualification" if you meet specific requirements. So this gives you an opportunity to work as well, even if you have completed the qualification:

Actively Working Towards A Qualification

I hope this information help and let me know if you have any more questions,

:geek:,
Lorina

aleks

Re: Becoming an ECT

Post by aleks » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:39 pm

Thank you so much for the info Lorina.

I am leaning toward the Master degree again and will persue that path for now.